Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using my router along with ISP Router

YukiOkami
Aspirant

Using my router along with ISP Router

Hello Everyone! 

This has probably been asked before but I have dyslexia and I find it hard to understand some things. But I'm pretty well versed with computer things, but in any case I can't seem to find the answer to what I'm looking for and without paid support with the calling system with netgear I needed to turn to you guys for support.

My Interenet Provider has sent us a new router which has better firmware and speeds (apprently) than that of our Netgear router. This service goes live on the 4th of October so I have a little bit of time to think of an alternate use for our Nighthawk as I don't want to just box it up. We currently use a T-Plink that currently plugs into the wall downstairs near our router with a ethernet cable plugged into it and the other is plugged into an extension cable upstairrs to allow my partner to connect to it via another ethernet cable to his laptop ( as we have to play in seperate rooms so there is no feedback ). I know we are supposed to have them both plugged into the wall but the locations of our upstairs plug sockets is stupid and the one that is the most accessable doesn't work and we've been waiting 3 years for it to be fixed and still waiting - don't ask lol - We have a phone line upstairs too so my first real question here is firstly: 

Can we use a microfilter upstairs like we do downstairs to allow access to the interent uisng the nighhawk upstairs? 

Secondly: 

How do I configure my Nighhawk to act like an access point? I guess it would be called? As we'd like to use it upstairs. 

I read somewhere that because the nighthawk has that (I think its red) interent access point it needs to be plugged into the main router to all the access to work? Is this true because I cannot get a cable long enough nor am I am able to make holes in the cieling or anything as I live in a rented property. 

Sorry if this is a little long winded I'm not very good at explaining myself. Hope someone can help! 

Thanks! 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 18
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like you have Internet through DSL and I think you are asking if you can connect your Nighthawk to it upstairs. The answer is no. You can only have 1 DSL device connected to the phone line.

The Access Point (AP) setting is under ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Access Point.
Message 2 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

But would that mean i just plug it in upstairs for the power and just adjust the settings right?
Message 3 of 18
TheEther
Guru

No, you need a wired connection back to the main router. You can connect it to the TP-Link adapter (it sounds like it's a Powerline adapter).
Message 4 of 18

Yup. Sounds like Powerline.

If so, then after doing what TheEther says about Access Point mode, remember to plug the right LAN port on the old modem/router into the powerline plug.

There is a manual for your device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 119.

Message 5 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

So i jave to plug in my tplink think and link that to my netgear and that should open it up as a access point? I am a little confused. Sorry guys xD
Message 6 of 18
PauLita
Luminary

It is very simple - just take ethernet cable and plug one end into ISP Roter's LAN port, and other - into R7000's LAN port. That's all Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

So i would have to run a cable upstairs damn i was trying to afford that
Message 8 of 18
PauLita
Luminary

Sorry, but what is wrong with Netgear instructions:

For example, you can install the first router in a room like a home office where your Internet connection is
located, then set up the second router in bridge mode. Place the router in bridge mode in a different room
with your home entertainment center. Cable the router in bridge mode to your Smart TV, DVR, game console
or Blu-ray player, and use its 802.11ac WiFi connection to the first router.

To set up the router in bridge mode:
1. Make a note of the WiFi settings of the other router to which this router will connect.
You must know the SSID, WiFi security mode, wireless password, and operating frequency (either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz).
2. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
4. Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home page displays.
5. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Router/ AP / Bridge Mode.
The Router / AP / Bridge Mode page displays.
6. Select the Bridge Mode radio button.
The page adjusts.
7. Click the setup bridge mode wireless settings button.
The Wireless Settings window opens.
8. Specify the settings of the other router to which this router will connect:
a. Select the wireless network frequency (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz). For 802.11ac mode, select 5 GHz.
b. In the Name (SSID) file, enter the wireless network name (SSID).
c. In the Security Options section, select a radio button.
d. If prompted, type the WiFi password (network key) that you use to connect wirelessly to the other router.
9. Click the Apply button.
The settings for the other router are saved and the Advanced Wireless Settings page displays.
10. Click the Apply button on the Router / AP / Bridge Mode page.
Your settings are saved.

Message 9 of 18

@YukiOkami wrote:
So i would have to run a cable upstairs damn i was trying to afford that

No. You already have the "cable".

@in your first message you wrote:

We currently use a T-Plink that currently plugs into the wall downstairs near our router with a ethernet cable plugged into it and the other is plugged into an extension cable upstairrs to allow my partner to connect to it via another ethernet cable

From your description, TheEther thought that this is a Powerline Ethernet device. So did I. (Tell us the model number and we might be able to check.)

If it is Powerline, then what you do is

• Unplug your partner's laptop from the Powerline plug.
  • Plug the old modem into the Powerline plug following the instructions in the manual
  • Plug your partner's laptop into one of the LAN ports on the old modem.

You can now use your old modem as a local network switch and as a wifi source. But first set it up as an access point as TheEther advised.

One thing worth thinking about, the TPlink Powerline plugs may not be as fast as you'd like. Newer Powerline plugs are faster. The D7000 has Gigabit ethernet. Old Powerline plugs may have much slower Ethernet. It might even be slower than your new Internet service. Netgear makes Gb Powerline devices, and may even have faster ones on the way.

Message 10 of 18

This might help to understand if this TPLink stuff is powerline.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

It is where Netgear shows its Powerline devices. If your TPLink kit looks like that, then you are all set to go and to turn your D7000 into an access point.

Message 11 of 18

@PauLita wrote:

It is very simple - just take ethernet cable and plug one end into ISP Roter's LAN port, and other - into R7000's LAN port. That's all Smiley Happy

For a start, the original message referred to a D7000. That's the modem/router variant not the router.

The manual for the D7000 says that you plug into the WAN/Ethernet port if you want to use the D7000 as an access point.

The words are:

Use an Ethernet cable to connect the red Internet port on the back panel of the modem router to a LAN port on the other router.

Message 12 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

I tried to upload but ut failed so bellow i linked it.
Message 13 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BECPIMC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506692279&sr=1-1&refinements...

I hope you can see that that is what i use

If I have this right:
1. Unplug my D7000 and plug it in upstairs.
2. Go on the router via my pc and swit h it to an access point.
3. Unplug the ethernet cable drom my partners laptop. Keep it connected to the second tp link and plug that into the red port on the D700

Is that all I need to do?
Message 14 of 18

@YukiOkami wrote:
I attached what I use, we have one down stairs and the other upstairs.

If I have this right:
3. Unplug the ethernet cable drom my partners laptop. Keep it connected to the second tp link and plug that into the red port on the D700

It isn't clear what you are talking about there. So let me rewrite it with the names of the kit, and in a better order:

• Go into D7000 and set it to Access Point mode
  • Unplug D7000 and take it upstairs.
  • Unplug partner's laptop from Powerline
  • Plug D7000 WAN port into Powerline upstairs
  • Plug partner's laptop into LAN port on D7000

You will have to work out how to do this when you have changed over to the new modem. That can be tricky if the modem blocks access to the D7000.

Message 15 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

I am so sorry I was replying at work on my phone so typing fast etc. Also again I have to point out I have dyslexia so I do need it simplified in points to help so now you have done that and now it makes sense to me it helps greatly thank you.
Message 16 of 18
YukiOkami
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@YukiOkami wrote:
I attached what I use, we have one down stairs and the other upstairs.

If I have this right:

It isn't clear what you are talking about there. So let me rewrite it with the names of the kit, and in a better order:

• Go into D7000 and set it to Access Point mode
  • Unplug D7000 and take it upstairs.
  • Unplug partner's laptop from Powerline
  • Plug D7000 WAN port into Powerline upstairs
  • Plug partner's laptop into LAN port on D7000

You will have to work out how to do this when you have changed over to the new modem. That can be tricky if the modem blocks access to the D7000.

I did this and it doesn't seem to have done anything. I've got only two ethernet ports on my Sky Hub. I plugged in my laptop and the ethernet cable that is connected to out Powerline. I took everything else upstairs and plugged in the D7000. Plugged the Powerline into the Red Internet port and there is no indication that it's working. The lights are showing - just the Power, the 2.5GHZ and 5GHZ and the last two at the end are the only lights that are showing. There is no light on the interent or connection lights. 

What am I missing? 

Will I have to unplug everything to check if the router is actually in access mode? 

How do I know that the netgear is connected to my Sky Router? 

Message 17 of 18

YukiOkami wrote:

I took everything else upstairs and plugged in the D7000. Plugged the Powerline into the Red Internet port and there is no indication that it's working.

In my message I suggested "Plug partner's laptop into LAN port on D7000". You have plugged it into the WAN port. That is not the same thing.

Did you try that? It is what the manual suggests. See page 120.

Did you set the D7000 into AP mode before you moved it?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7