Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Viewing separate modem GUI through Netgear D6300

bigshorty43
Aspirant

Viewing separate modem GUI through Netgear D6300

Hi All

Hoping someone might be able to help me setup my Netgear D6300 to be able to view my Draytek Vigor 130 modem GUI.

I'm one for messing around with router settings, however most changes require a reboot. A friend told me this could have detrimental affect on my broadband speed as every reboot causes the modem in the D6300 to resync. These resyncs can be confused as disconnections by the DLM, which in turn can cause the DLM to reduce line speed, to reduce disconnections thinking that there may be a problem. Hence why I have opted for a separate modem and router configuration with my network setup, meaning the modem can stay on constantly and not be affected by router changes.

I currently have my Vigor 130 modem set to IP address 192.168.2.1, and the D6300 is now configured as a router only on IP address 192.168.1.1. The problem I'm having is that I cannot view my Vigor 130 GUI page to be able to view line statistics. Does anyone know how to configure the D6300 to be able to view the Vigor 130 GUI through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
bigshorty43
Aspirant

Forget this request for advice, from what I have discovered this setup isn't possible with Netgear routers. Shame as both Asus and TP-Link routers have methods where this can be done by configuring secondary connections from what I remember, would be nice if Netgear could update firmware to achieve this, although I guess that also depends on whether the hardware is capable as well.

I'm going down the route of using an ethernet switch between the modem and router, which should then allow access to the modem GUI.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] A friend told me [...]

Did you ever actually observe this (potential) problem?  But, for the
sake of argument, let's assume that there actually is such a problem.

> [...] I currently have my Vigor 130 modem set to IP address
> 192.168.2.1, and the D6300 is now configured as a router only on IP
> address 192.168.1.1. [...]

If, as described, you have two subnets, then your "Vigor 130 modem"
would appear to be a modem+router, not a simple modem.  Cascading
multiple routers can cause multiple problems.

> [...] The problem I'm having is that I cannot view my Vigor 130 GUI
> page [...]

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> [...] Does anyone know how to configure the D6300 to be able to view
> the Vigor 130 GUI through it?

The problem is not the configuration of the D6300.  If you can
configure your "Vigor 130 modem[+router]" as a modem only, and the D6300
as your primary/only router, then the multiple-router problems should
vanish.

If you insist on having two routers (hence two subnets), then the
D6300 is an innocent victim, and you'd need to deal with the required
routing on the outer router ("Vigor 130 modem[+router]").

> Forget this request for advice, [...]

Ok with me.

> [..] from what I have discovered this setup isn't possible with
> Netgear routers. [...]

What, exactly, "isn't possible"?  Where, exactly, did you "discover"
this?

> [...] I'm going down the route of using an ethernet switch between the
> modem and router, which should then allow access to the modem GUI.

Not a very detailed description of anything, but I wouldn't bet much
that adding a network switch to two cascaded routers would solve all the
multiple-router problems.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1644757
      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1558939

Message 3 of 5
bigshorty43
Aspirant

I appreciate the reply, and I do apologise if my description of my problem was rather simple and vague, although I can't see what other information I could have added to explain my request in any more detail.

All I want to do is be able to access my modem GUI page on my PC, with my modem being behind my router. The reason I believe that this isn't possible is from reading at least two different discussions on this forum requesting the same advice, both were told that this is not possible. The only options provided were somehow using a second router, which is not an option for me as I don't have access to one. The other option, which is more suited to my network and personal capabilities, is to place an ethernet switch between the modem and router, connecting an ethernet cable from the modem to the switch, and then two other ethernet cables from the switch to the LAN and WAN ports of the router.

As I have managed to configure an Asus and TP-Link router to allow me to view my modems GUI on device in the past, I thought it was common practice that all routers could be configured to achieve the same, but it seems that was an incorrect assumption. If I am wrong, and I can configure my D6300 then I'd be grateful to know. If any more information is needed then just let me know what you need and I'd be happy to provide it.

Message 4 of 5
bigshorty43
Aspirant

Just to add, from what I remember after reading the discussions I had mentioned, having a PPPOE internet connection makes this request more difficult to do, and my internet connection is a PPPOE type connection.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7