Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WOL and DGN2200 not working

avinitski
Aspirant

WOL and DGN2200 not working

for the life of me i cannot get WOL working with my new DGN2200

if i use my old crappy router WOL works perfectly.

If i use a packet sniffer on the target machine nothing is being received.

i wouldnt of thought it was a router specific issue but if i replace with my old crappy router it works fine!

The ONLY difference is the DGN2200

any ideas please?
Message 1 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

locally?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Message 2 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

locally?

yes everything is local, i am not trying to wake over WAN.
Message 3 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

the router is definitely the cause, every time i replace the DGN2200 with either a router supplied by my ISP or an old Netgear DG834 it works!
Message 4 of 15
fordem
Mentor

It's extremely unlikely that your new router would cause WoL to fail - the router plays no part in the required communication.

For clarification - a DGN2200 contains a router, a switch and a wireless access point in one unit - the router portion is not involved in the WoL communication, only the switch, and the switch really doesn't care.

Are you trying to wake across the wireless - from wireless to wired?
Message 5 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

yes from my wireless laptop to my HTPC or my gaming rig, the latter two are wired.

as i said in an earlier post if i replace the router with the one my ISP provided or replace with my old Netgear DG834G it works and i change nothing else, i have the routers all lined up next to each other so it only takes me a min to hook up each one and each time my other two routers WOL fine, im totally baffled.

i have reset back to factory settings and still no joy.

the WOL programs im using are >
http://www.aquilatech.com/Software/wakeonlan
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/WOL.shtml
Message 6 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Do all your routers use the same IP subnet e.g. 192.168.1.x ?
Message 7 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

no

the DGN2200 uses 192.168.0.x
my old crappy ISP router uses 192.168.1.x

interestingly tonight i figured out if i connect my laptop to the DGN2200 using wired connection WOL works!?! it wakes up my HTPC!?!

but using my old crappy ISP router DEFINENTLY works wirelessly from my laptop to my HTPC and gaming rig.

Why will the DGN2000 only pass on the magic packets if its wired? this is no good for me as i move around my house with my laptop, if i have to go to the router to plug in in order to WOL then i might as well go to the pc's and wake manually.

is it related to the subnets? i dont understand how.
Message 8 of 15
fordem
Mentor

avinitski wrote:
interestingly tonight i figured out if i connect my laptop to the DGN2200 using wired connection WOL works!?! it wakes up my HTPC!?!

This is why I asked the question - some wireless routers provide some degree of wireless isolation which can block the broadcast packets that WoL needs to function - check the advanced setup for the new router and see if there is anything on wireless isolation.
Message 9 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
This is why I asked the question - some wireless routers provide some degree of wireless isolation which can block the broadcast packets that WoL needs to function - check the advanced setup for the new router and see if there is anything on wireless isolation.

there is a tick box for Wireless Isolation, its not ticked by default, just on the off chance i tried with it ticked too, still nothing.

Does anyone know why the DGN2200 can only pass my WOL packets when the machine sending (not receiving) the WOL packet is wired.

Are all netgear routers like this?

If i was to sell the Netgear would something like a Linksys or D-Link work?
Message 10 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

when "wireless isolation " is not used, between the wireless device and wired devices, can you still communicate with basic lan sharing of folders etc?
Message 11 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
when "wireless isolation " is not used, between the wireless device and wired devices, can you still communicate with basic lan sharing of folders etc?

yes i can see and access file shares from my wireless laptop to both my wired HTPC and wired gaming rig, RDP also works fine.
Message 12 of 15
avinitski
Aspirant

Re: WOL and DGN2200 not working when sending packet from wireless machine

i took the router back today and swapped it as faulty, got another DGN2200, same issue!!!

i can also confirm using a packet sniffer on the target machines that no WOL packet is being received from my laptop when laptop connected via wireless.

packets are being received when laptop is wired.
Message 13 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you can put your bug report to support at my.netgear.com
Message 14 of 15
sblantipodi
Aspirant

Is there any solution to this problem?
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors