Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to automatically connect to a cable internet service by Netgear N 300 wifi router

tapas
Aspirant

Want to automatically connect to a cable internet service by Netgear N 300 wifi router

Dear All  - Please guide me how to configure this modem for connecting automatically to a cable internet service which requires to open a page in a browser and then inputing username and password. That browser page has to be kept open all the time till internet is used.

Thanks for helping.

Tapas

Model: WNR1500|N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Re: Want to automatically connect to a cable internet service by Netgear N 300 wifi router

You may be better off consulting with your ISP for instructions on connecting a router.  Or you can provide the name of your ISP.

Message 2 of 16

Re: Want to automatically connect to a cable internet service by Netgear N 300 wifi router

Do you really mean WNR1500?

If so, it won't connect to the internet. It is a router. You need a modem. Then you plug the WNR1500 into that.

This explains it:

WNR1500_IG_03MAY2012.pdf

Message 3 of 16
tapas
Aspirant

Dear TheEther - Thanks for attending my problem. I contacted my ISP but they maintain that I shall have to go through the login page. However, I feel that it would be possible to configure the modem router to login automatically. The name of the ISP is : PMPL broadband (Pacenet Meghbala Broadband Pvt. Ltd.).

Tapas

Message 4 of 16
tapas
Aspirant

Dear michaelkenward  - Thanks for replying. I choose the best fit from the popup menu list of modems given in the website. I am no expert of modems and routers but i think that it is a modm router as it functioned as a modem just  one month ago with BSNL broadband connection and I was able to login then automatically. The exact model name is : Netgear n 300 WIFI DSL Modem Router.

Tapas

Message 5 of 16
TheEther
Guru

tapas, I couldn't find any information about connecting to PMPL broadband.  The router does have some support for logging into an ISP using PPPoE, L2TP and PPPoA, but I don't know if your ISP uses any of these methods.  You can try it yourself.  The instructions are here.

Message 6 of 16

@tapas wrote:

The exact model name is : Netgear n 300 WIFI DSL Modem Router.

That isn't a model number. N300 is a wifi standard. DSL is the internet technology you connect with. (I assume that your cable internet service is some flavour of DSL.)  Netgear makes dozens of modems that are N300 and DSL.

If you can find the full model number on the bottom – something like D6400, DGN1234, C6300 – then maybe someone can tell you where to look in the manual.

The ISPs login page usually asks you for a username and password. In most cases you have to find the right page in the modem's web interface and then feed it that information.

Message 7 of 16
tapas
Aspirant

Dear michaelkenward - Please excuse for my ignorance about router modems. The model number is D1500 - 100PES. It was clearly mentioned in the technical specifications that "HIGH-SPEED ADSL2+ modem built - in".

Dear TheEther - i tried to fiddle the pages you mentioned without success.

With best wishes to both,

Tapas

Message 8 of 16
TheEther
Guru

tapas, it's really difficult to help without information about how your ISP works.  Help us help you.  Can you provide us with any other details?  Does the ISP have a web page with instructions for connecting to their service?  Can you provide a link?  Or perhaps the ISP emailed instructions to you.

How is your D1500 wired?  Are you using the ADSL port or is the LAN2/WAN port connected to an ISP box?

Message 9 of 16

The manual for this modem is here:

Product Data Sheet

If you have to setup the connection manually, pages 29 onwards show you where to provide the information that your modem needs to login, depending on how your ISP works.

As TheEther says, your ISP should provide you with that information.

By the way, you say that your ISP is Pacenet Meghbala Broadband. Do you mean Pacenet Meghbela Broadband. According to Google, the former does not seem to exist.

Message 10 of 16

@TheEther wrote:

How is your D1500 wired?  Are you using the ADSL port or is the LAN2/WAN port connected to an ISP box?

One reason for my interest in your answer to this question is that the term "cable internet" is often used to describe internet services that are not ADSL. That is why Netgear has different product lines for cable and DSL.

If you really do have a cable service, then an ADSL modem will not connect to it.

Once again, we need to know more about your ISP.

Message 11 of 16
tapas
Aspirant

Dear TheEther -  I already told that the cable internet connection jack cannot be fitted to the ADSL port and I have pushed it in the LAN2/WAN port. It can be fitted in the LAN port (with yellow cable of Netgear modem connecting to PC from LAN2/WAN port) but this arrangement does not work.

The precess of connecting to the internet is as foloows :

1.  Connect to the WIFI of this modem named NETGEAR95 by clicking connect then providing paraphrase in Windows 7. In Windows 10, it connects automatically.

2.  Open a browser

3. Click the bookmarked page of ISP named 24Online Client with url : 172.16.16.16/24online/webpages/client.jsp

4. Provide usermane and password in appropriate boxes

5. Click login button which chages immediately to logout

6. Keep this page open

7. Open another tab or browser for internet surfing.

Dear michaelkenward - You are right. I am sorry for the mistake. The name of the ISP is indeed : Meghbela and not Meghbala.

A snapshot after logging in : 

Suspita Communication

24 x 7 Help Line 40401100MyAccountAbout Us | Contact Us

USERNAME

PASSWORD

You have successfully logged in 
Video On DemandMusic On DemandVOIPSMS Services

To start surfing, Minimize this login window and open a new browser window.
 Please do not close this Window without logging out

Message 12 of 16

@tapas wrote:

Dear TheEther -  I already told that the cable internet connection jack cannot be fitted to the ADSL port and I have pushed it in the LAN2/WAN port. It can be fitted in the LAN port (with yellow cable of Netgear modem connecting to PC from LAN2/WAN port) but this arrangement does not work.

I expect TheEther can provide a better answer, but it seems to me that you are trying to get the ADSL modem to do something that is not possible.

You are asking a DSL modem to sign into a cable service.

The pages I referred to tell you how to tell your Netgear modem to connect to the internet with a DSL service. It does not apply to things plugged into the WAN port.

You say that the internet works if it is plugged into the LAN2 port. That is because that input also doubles as a WAN port. In other words, it is what connects you to the internet but it uses your other modem/box to do the work.

If you look at page 64 of the manual it tells you how to configure your modem to work with a WAN. Maybe TheEther can correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you buy a cable modem, you are probably stuck with your current login process, unless the modem that you now have can automate the login process.

Message 13 of 16
TheEther
Guru

tapas, the screenshot you posted is mostly blank.  But I think I don't need to see any more of it.  You have already provided important information.  Let's go over it.

Prior to your latest post, you did not disclose that you were using the WAN Ethernet port.  That means that your router is connected to another device on your premises.  Do you know the model of that device?

The URL you use to log in (172.16.16.16/24online/webpages/client.jsp) has a private IP address.  This strongly suggests that your D1500 is connected to another modem router.  Is that modem router a coax cable modem router or an ADSL modem router?  If it's an ADSL modem router, you may be able to remove it and insert your D1500.

But ultimately I think this whole exercise may be moot.  If your ISP requires you to log into their service via an Internet browser, then I very much doubt that you will be able to transfer this procedure to the D1500.  Your ISP is doing something non-standard.

Message 14 of 16

@TheEther wrote:
If it's an ADSL modem router, you may be able to remove it and insert your D1500.

One way to check if it is ADSL feeding in to the other router might be to see if the plug that goes into into the first modem will fit into the modem socket of the D1500.

After all, that is really how we determined that you are not using the D1500 as a modem.

Message 15 of 16
tapas
Aspirant

Dear TheEther and michaelkenward - Sweet success at last. I took the que from TheEther's comment that my router may be connecting to another device. Obviouly it is connected to the PC. But ??? Well, I have one Electron EWNA 300B WI-FI ADAPTER + SOFT AP connected to one of the USB port through which I created a wi-fi hotspot earlier. It was creating a hotspot that was different from the netggear hotspot created by the netgear modem router.

I removed that adapter from the computer. The computer immediately started to connect automatically to the cable internet through my netgear modem router. I need not even have to enter the username or password or press logon button in windows. I added Firefox to the startup programs, logged on to the PMPL broadband and instructed Firefox to remember the username and passwords. I just start windows, sit at ease to see the computer booting, Firefox opening the 3 homepages (PMPL, Google and another) with internet automatically on !!!

In Ubuntu, it connects and Firefox opens the PMPL website with username and password inputed requiring only a single click to Logon button.

I have configured my D 1500 modem as given in this file NETGEAR_D1500.cfg. I can send it for your perusal if you are interested. Please then tell me how to attach a file.

Thank you so much for assiting me for solving the problem.

With best wishes,

Tapas

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7