Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to use D6300 on BT Fibre

Landyman
Aspirant

Want to use D6300 on BT Fibre

D6300 to BT Fibre Broadband  

Has anyone found a separate modem that will work to connect a D6300 away from using it on an ADSL Phone point to I am assuming a phone point that will be supplied  by BT with VDSL Fibre please.

I have had my D6300 for a long time and I have not had anything to complain about. It is so reliable and more to the point I have mastered how to use it and cannot see why I would want to replace it if I can bypass it's internal Modem by using a stand alone modem via the WAN port which I have been told may solve the problem of it not having a VDSL capability.

I have not yet moved to Fibre I am just looking for a way to continue with my existing Router before I do. Thanks

Model: D6300B|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
Model: D6300|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Want to use D6300 on BT Fibre

@Landyman wrote:

Hello, thanks for answering.

Well it isn't a follow on but apparently I didn't use the right forum at the beginning and so someone told me to use this one. I just made a new post.

You failed to add here details that were in your follow up in the other place. All very confusing.

@Landyman wrote:

I understand that I am to be given FTTC . We are a bit outside of the main areas so we still have overhead cables.

That is standard VDSL. Most FTTC seems to be delivered in that way.

@Landyman wrote:

Ok, I want to stay with Netgear because I have had such reliability in fact not one problem in all the years I have used it and I love the MAC Access Control security added to the password etc, and having had several BT ones over the years with continual problems and since they are going to provide one free I can only imagine it will be the lowest spec one they have and will again cause me problems, you will understand I am not eager to use the Home Hub.

Yup. BT modem/routers are a nightmare for many people. I have several still in their shrink wrapped boxes.

I used a D6400 for while, until I decided that it lacked some useful features – ReadyCLOUD for example – and that I would follow the general advice of knowledgeable people here and go for a separate modem and router.

For a start you get a wider choice of routers. Netgear adapts only a limited number of routers as modem/routers.

You also get more frequent updates to fix security holes and a higher likelihood of new features. Modem/routers seem to be lower down on the priority list for that sort of thing.

The only problem is that, depending where you are, standalone DSL modems seem to be disappearing and now command silly prices.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@Landyman wrote:

Has anyone found a separate modem that will work to connect a D6300 away from using it on an ADSL Phone point to I am assuming a phone point that will be supplied  by BT with VDSL Fibre please.

I assume that this is a follow on from this one:

D6300 to BT Fibre Broadband - NETGEAR Communities

BT calls everything "fibre" including DSL. (That is fibre to the cabinet, FTTC.) Are you getting fibre to the premises (FTTP)? BT is rolling that out now.

If you are getting DSL, then you will get a modem/router from BT. If you insist, your D6300 can work as a wireless access point. Look for that in the manual:

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

The biggest problem with the D6300 is the speed of its LAN ports. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX. If you are getting FTTP, then the D6300 will slow you down something chronic.

It may not be a killer for ~70Mbps Internet, the best you usually get with VDSL. But it is slower than most modern network hardware and slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

The D6300 is a pretty basic, non-Nighthawk mode-router for ADSL. Five years on from its release, it is hardly worth the effort. BT's Homehub may not be the best thing going, but it beats the D6300 on most fronts.

Message 2 of 4
Landyman
Aspirant

Well it isn't a follow on but apparently I didn't use the right forum at the beginning and so someone told me to use this one. I just made a new post.

I understand that I am to be given FTTC . We are a bit outside of the main areas so we still have overhead cables. Sorry I wasn't clear enough before although I hope you will understand if I understood all of this as well as you I wouldn't need the forum in the first place.

Ok, I want to stay with Netgear because I have had such reliability in fact not one problem in all the years I have used it and I love the MAC Access Control security added to the password etc, and having had several BT ones over the years with continual problems and since they are going to provide one free I can only imagine it will be the lowest spec one they have and will again cause me problems, you will understand I am not eager to use the Home Hub.

I realise from what you have said  that I should move to a VDSL Modem based Router and, having looked on Netgear's website, I see they have several I can choose from. 

Thank you again for answering my question and your help.

Message 3 of 4

@Landyman wrote:

You failed to add here details that were in your follow up in the other place. All very confusing.

@Landyman wrote:

I understand that I am to be given FTTC . We are a bit outside of the main areas so we still have overhead cables.

That is standard VDSL. Most FTTC seems to be delivered in that way.

@Landyman wrote:

Yup. BT modem/routers are a nightmare for many people. I have several still in their shrink wrapped boxes.

I used a D6400 for while, until I decided that it lacked some useful features – ReadyCLOUD for example – and that I would follow the general advice of knowledgeable people here and go for a separate modem and router.

For a start you get a wider choice of routers. Netgear adapts only a limited number of routers as modem/routers.

You also get more frequent updates to fix security holes and a higher likelihood of new features. Modem/routers seem to be lower down on the priority list for that sort of thing.

The only problem is that, depending where you are, standalone DSL modems seem to be disappearing and now command silly prices.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7