Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What to buy instead of D7000v2?

UKDave
Guide

What to buy instead of D7000v2?

Evening,  I need a modem router that suports "fiber" VDSL (my internet speed about 22Mbps).  I am not a gamer, home user in a family home with wifi and a number of devices.  I like the idea of having my hard drive networked via USB port.    So if you assume the D7000v2 just doesnt work (see my issues below)...what do you buy instead?   It does not have to be a Netgear product. 

Has anyone actually acheived a D7000v2 with a hard drive plugged in and networked?  All I see all over Amazon reviews is unhappy people with the same issue.  This forum seems to confirm there are many problems.  I can only assume I either have a faulty D7000v2,  or there are some big issues with the product.  I am running Windows10.   I can get internet and wifi working OK.  My issues range from being unable to access settings via "routerlogin.net" or "192.168.0.1" via browser (Chrome, MS Edge, Firefox), to being unable to see (on the Network) hard drives plugged into USB, unable to get to "MyBook Live" Hard drive plugged into the ethernet ports.    I have seen Netgears response ( https://kb.netgear.com/27199/How-to-troubleshoot-routerlogin-net-and-routerlogin-com-access-errors ) which strongly suggest they are aware of the issue - I have been through all the recommendations.  I have been on the phone with Netgear support for 90 mins and gone through all this,  done the factory reset...where I can access settings very briefly...then I can't.  And it never netwoks a hard drive.  And I can't get into the settings to adjust things even if it did Network it.   Network Genie allows me to see some stuff but change nothing, and the areas where it needs to sign in, it can't access or sign into the router either.  So after many days and nights and hours wasted I come to the conclusion I need a router that works.  Mine is being returned to Amazon and we will see if the replacement unit is any different.

Many thank for any comments 🙂

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Al94
Apprentice

Yes, I have tried plugging in a drive to the Archer VR900 - works perfectly and accessable.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] D7000v2?

Firmware version?

> [...] being unable to access settings via "routerlogin.net" or
> "192.168.0.1" via browser (Chrome, MS Edge, Firefox), [...]

"unable" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

Does it work better if the USB ports are vacant?

> [...] done the factory reset...where I can access settings very
> briefly...then I can't. [...]

Is there some specific action which wrecks it?  Sadly, it's not very
unusual for a web server on a Netgear router to die in various
circumstances, leaving the victim wondering why the router has suddenly
gone unresponsive.

> [...] And it never netwoks a hard drive. [...]

You're looking at what seems to be a pile of GNU/Linux freeware which
which includes USB hardware/software support for less than every storage
device, file-system software to access multiple disk formats, and
file-sharing software to use multiple protocols, all of which seems to
get very little testing.  I tried playing with it a little on my D7000
(plain/"v1"), and decided that it wasn't reliable enough for my backup
data.  Perhaps it works for people who don't complain here.

Message 2 of 9
UKDave
Guide

Thanks for the reply and questions.  I summarised the issues as my past experience (on other forums) has been if you write pages and pages of issues and detail people don't actually read it and switch off.

Firmware version :  The current and previous versions are found here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.0.45.  I tried them all.   Current version - I can't tell as I can't access my router.  I did the "factory reset",  and I let the Genie do the firmware update.  Honestly after the third day and almost 24 hours spent on this I stopped writing things down.  

Unable to access settings via "routerlogin.net" or "192.168.0.1" via browser (Chrome, MS Edge, Firefox) :  = I get this message : https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/routerlogin.aspx .   I have followed the instuctions at this page and I have no success.   I see also Netgears longer version of this which is what the Netgear tech support ran me through :  https://kb.netgear.com/27199/How-to-troubleshoot-routerlogin-net-and-routerlogin-com-access-errors .   During all of this all the lights are normal and what you would expect them to be,  I did all of this with Netgear tech.

When the unit is "reset to factory settings"  it is possible to use a browser and type 192.168.0.1 (or routerlogin.net) and access the router settings.  However no USB drive is recognised.  Netgear tech support stated that non of the ReadyShare and other functions I have paid money for work (the stuff that is advertised and on the box the unit comes in).  Apparently these work when you upgrade your firmware.  As soon as I upgrade my firmware then the features dont work and the router is inaccessable.

I have to assume it is not my browser or my firewall or my anti-virus software (as Netgear suggest),  because (I have followed all the instructions to delete history or turn off firewalls etc) I can plug my free ISP modem router in and access it immediately via a browser.  Also the Netgear Genie App has multiple "I can't access the router" statements.   

The accessibility issue is the same with USB plugged in, or not.

Yes you are correct, I could have paid less money for less functions on a modem router.  I could have put the money towards a NAS unit.  Given how good my previous ADSL Netgear router was I did not expect so many issues and features that dont work.   I am not using unusual PC/software or hard drive formats.   Yes you are correct it is quite possible the routers work for some people and they are therefore not on the forums.  I also suspect that a lot of people buy the router just for the improved wifi range and dont need to access the router or update the firmware or use the USB slots.   I ignored the 20% of the people who gave a 1star review on Amazon, and it was not until I had issues and I read their problems again that I realised I am not alone.   Hence I am looking to see if anyone actually has these features working,  and I am looking for a product or set up that does work....If I need to spend more money on model number XXX and this works in peoples experience - that would be good to know.  If I should spend my money on a unit that is a good modem router and get a NAS, please tell me the model number that works.  Because I am wondering if all Netgear products currently have issues...

Message 3 of 9
Al94
Apprentice

I replaced my D7000 with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connections-UK-Archer-VR900-V2/dp/B01N2LSLMH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516283... which has been up and running for almost three weeks with no issues at all. Included in many connected devices are two Chromecasts and two Android phones.

Message 4 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Unable to access settings via "routerlogin.net" or "192.168.0.1" via
> browser (Chrome, MS Edge, Firefox) :  = I get this message : [...]

Welcome to what may be the worst error message in the world.  For an
explanation, try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1365830

Briefly, the idea is that "[www.]routerlogin.net" should point to
your own router, but that's true only if you use your own router for DNS
name resolution.  Irregardful, you should be able to get to the thing
using its IP address, if you can determine (or guess) that.  Perhaps:
"192.168.0.1".  You can often get it from your computer's IP
configuration as the default gateway or router address (or some similar
description).  I don't know how you could get to that page using any
reasonable IP address, even a bad one.

> [...] Also the Netgear Genie App has multiple "I can't access the
> router" statements.

I've avoided all the Genie apps, so I know nothing on that front.
(The web-browser interface has enough problems on its own.  Adding yet
another layer of bad software never seemed appealing.)

Message 5 of 9
UKDave
Guide

Thanks to both of you.  I will put that modem router on my list of possible options 🙂  Have you tried plugging in a hard drive or memory stick to it to see if it is network accessaible?   

Yes, very strange the login/access issue.  My DNS is 192.168.0.1.   In Windows10 you can identify this via "Start - Settings - Network&Internet - View Network Properties" and the DNS is clearly identified there.  I have tried this wireless and with ethernet cable.  I hate being defeated, but it has me beaten.

Amazon are exchanging the unit, so a new D7000v2 arrives sometime tomorrow (hopefully).  Fingers crossed it was just a faulty unit.  I will keep this post updated.

Message 6 of 9
Al94
Apprentice

Yes, I have tried plugging in a drive to the Archer VR900 - works perfectly and accessable.

Message 7 of 9
UKDave
Guide

Thanks for the recommendations.   

Final update:  I gave up with the 2nd Netgear unit.  It started to lock up/freeze when accessing settings via browser.  Readyshare just was not working and neither was my networked drive.  I would have wondered if Windows10 was the reason etc...but the TP-Link Archer 900 plugged in and worked.  It gave 27.8Mbps (ISP router was 12-14,  D7000V2 was 20-22),  toook 10 mins to set up and worked.  All of it.  The shared USB drive worked immediately.  The Ethernet connected drive (WD MY Book) worked immediately.  And it worked the next day, and the next.  And I have not had the one or two dailey internet connections either.

So basically - To me it looks like the Netgear D7000v2 is the problem.   

Regards Dave.

Message 8 of 9
Al94
Apprentice

Glad you have found the Archer VR900 to be such a great piece of kit as well. So refreshing to have everything just working as it should!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7