Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which DM200 should I buy?

pimpMyModem
Aspirant

Which DM200 should I buy?

So I'd like to buy a DM200 modem, but which one should I buy? The one sold in the US, the DM200-100NAS, or the one sold in Europe, the DM200-100EUS.

Do they support different ADSL/VDSL standards? How can I tell which one will work in my country?

I couldn't find documentation for the specific models.

I'd appreciate if you point me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Which DM200 should I buy?

Hello PimpMyModem 

Which country are you in and what type of connection do you have?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8

If you buy locally, you will get one designed for local networks.

Or do you plan to import from afar?

Message 3 of 8
pimpMyModem
Aspirant

Thanks, guys for trying to help.

Yes, if possible I'd like to order one online. Locally, the prices are considerably higher (= double).

I currently have ADSL connection. Not sure exactly, might be ADSL2 or even ADSL2+. I'm considering upgrading my plan beyond the 1.5Mb/sec I currently have and that would require the switch to VDSL (again, not sure, exaclty, which flavor exactly).

I contacted Netgear's support via chat. What I understood from them is that the US model's power input is 110V. Where I live it's 230V/50Hz.

Other than that there might be some regional/country difference regarding some settings like Vci and Vpi, but those can be set manually to the correct value.

Can anyone confirm that?

Also, did I cover all bases? Can anyone think of some other consideration or potential issue I've overlooked?

Message 4 of 8

@pimpMyModem wrote:
What I understood from them is that the US model's power input is 110V. Where I live it's 230V/50Hz.

If you already have a Netgear device, then you could use that power supply. Or a generic transformer with the right specifications.

But people have used Netgear's 110V transformers at 240V. Netgear won't tell you so, but this is because users find that in reality Netgear supplies dual-voltage transformers that automatically switch to the correct voltage.

There have been several discussions on that topic around here.

Message 5 of 8
pimpMyModem
Aspirant

That's very interesting information, and it also makes sense. However, it is a bit outside of my comfort zone to do something like that, especially when I can order a unit from europe that will, probably, be 230V/50Hz.

Message 6 of 8

@pimpMyModem wrote:

...especially when I can order a unit from europe that will, probably, be 230V/50Hz.

Good move. Delivery might be cheaper too.

Message 7 of 8
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

That modem is not RFC 1483 compatible IMO. You won't be able to run a true transparent bridge and if that is what you want its gonna be a waste of time buying it IMO.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7