Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Who uses opendns parental controls on DGND3700

bilbonvidia
Novice

Who uses opendns parental controls on DGND3700

Please reply to thread if you use Live Parental Controls and it works properly ie blocks pages and still blocks pages when it has been re-booted.

I am trying to find out if it is just me or there is a general issue. I have been corresponding with netgear and opends now but have got nowhere so the more info I can get the better.

Thanks for this.
Message 1 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

Can no one be bothered to answer even a simple yes or no?:(
Message 2 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

It just occured to me people may not really know about parental controls even though they have this router.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP2iee2ZV2k&feature=player_embedded

http://countries.netgear.com/lpc#07
Message 3 of 24
Scubbie
Apprentice

Sorry for not responding, but I don't use the OpenDNS Parental Controls. If everyone who does not use them responded, then you would not have the shorter list of who does.

It may help if you confirmed some information as well. Which firmware are you using? v12 is know to have various issues. There are a few different firmware versions around.

I did have some occasional issues with the 'Block Sites' list not enabling, but this has not reoccurred with recent updates of the beta firmwares.
Message 4 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

Thank you for replying

firmware:

V1.0.0.12_1.0.12

How can I get hold of other firmware? Did not see any on the netgear website.
Message 5 of 24
Scubbie
Apprentice

bilbonvidia wrote:
How can I get hold of other firmware? Did not see any on the netgear website.

You will need to lodge a Support Ticket with Netgear's Technical Support. Describe your issues and gently pursue them. Hopefully they will quickly put you in touch with the 2nd level of support who may then provide you with a link to the Beta Firmware.

The most recent beta firmware version is V1.0.0.15_1.0.15_PPP_Debug3 .
Message 6 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

Thank you, but I have been back and forth between opendns and netgear support for months now and no one has suggested firmware. I'll see if I can get hold of it.
Message 7 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

okay so an engineer phoned last night and installed the v15 ppp debug firmware remotely. This has not solved the issue unfortunately but at least they were able to see exactly what I was talking about.

I'd be greateful if someone else was able to test to see if this was a general device issue rather than a me issue. I get the feeling that not many people really use parental controls on this router.

I am aware of one other person on here who had the same issue and even got a replacement which did the same he never got the issue solved.
Message 8 of 24
hbhunt
Aspirant

I am trying to use the open DNS to block sites from the teenagers in the house. It works once I get a connection on the dsl line but once I loose the connection which happens a lot with the DGND3700 the open DNS stops working until I get on ny pc and use the Net Gear parental controls to engage them again. I use a Mac so this is a big pain. I wish NetGear would do something about this issue with all the dropped connections on the DGND3700.
Message 9 of 24
theTechman05
Aspirant

Isn't there another mac option. If you were on windows I'd try using windows live essentials privacy settings. I haven't tried it but I assume for that it needs to be installed on all pc's in your needed control and locked down to a live account.

You already know to report the issue to netgear but just make sure to check with open dns. They might just have a solution that netgear hasn't implemented on their devices and that's keeping your device from reconnecting after a drop.
Message 10 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

Some time later my issue has now made it to the engineering department. I await a response.

Again it would be nice if other people could test it so I had something more to go back to Netgear with.
Message 11 of 24
theTechman05
Aspirant

Unfortunately the ready dns site I went to charged money to use it and I have no reason right now to use its features. Always thought there was free one too:(.
Message 12 of 24
theTechman05
Aspirant

Crud found a glitch the darn router shows the wrong link for the service. I assume It should point to opendns.com and not dyndns.com
Message 13 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

If you are trying to use the opendns live parental controls you dont touch the dyndns section although admittedly it would be nice to have an opendns updater there as an option.

To use the parental controls create a free opendns account here:

https://store.opendns.com/get/home-free

You then download the live parental control facility:
http://countries.netgear.com/lpc

and run it entering the account information you just set up and configure what you want to be blocked. The you should be good to go and inappropriate pages should be blocked. Takes 5 minutes.

However when I reboot pages stop being blocked until I re-enage parental controls with the utility again.
Message 14 of 24
cnewtonne
Aspirant

I'm running to same issue using dgn2200. Lpc works, but after shutting down pc or rebooting router, it stops working on any device and Internet is wide open. I have to go back to lpc mgmt tool and do disable/enable. It then works.
I called ng support and they gave up on me and offered no solution.

I could've used open dns home protection offering away from netgear, but I did not like the updater utility because it needs to be running 24x7. Lpc,somehow, they take care of the dynamic ip problem.

As of now, I do not really trust Lpc offering and may return the router. I may have to rely on k9 protection for now. This is sad.

Did you resolve your issue?
Message 15 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

No.

I sent my config files etc to Netgear Support again today. The issue is still with engineering.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Message 16 of 24
richard1985
Aspirant

cnewtonne wrote:
I'm running to same issue using dgn2200. Lpc works, but after shutting down pc or rebooting router, it stops working on any device and Internet is wide open. I have to go back to lpc mgmt tool and do disable/enable. It then works.
I called ng support and they gave up on me and offered no solution.

I could've used open dns home protection offering away from netgear, but I did not like the updater utility because it needs to be running 24x7. Lpc,somehow, they take care of the dynamic ip problem.

As of now, I do not really trust Lpc offering and may return the router. I may have to rely on k9 protection for now. This is sad.

Did you resolve your issue?

I am also having the exact same issue with the DGN2200. I spoke with their technical support department numerous times to try to resolve the case but got nowhere. One person said it was a problem with the hardware and for me to check back in 6 weeks time. When I called back they said they would pass it on to their level 2/3 support, and that they would call back, but I've not heard anything back. That was back in July 2011. Its now 6 months later and the problem has still yet to be resolved!

I believe the problem lies with the router failing to notify OpenDNS of a change to the dynamic IP address which occurs when the router reconnects. This was the main reason for me purchasing the router as it avoids having to run an update program client side.

On the LPC FAQ page it says:
Q: What if I have a dynamic IP address? Does different types of Internet services (DSL, Cable, etc) this affect Live Parental Controls powered by OpenDNS?
A: The router can handle different types of Broadband Internet connections including DSL, Cable, it Changes to your IP address are automatically handled by your router and will not affect your filtering settings.

This looks like false advertisement to me! I plan on writing a formal complaint about this, and I would urge everyone else experiencing the same problem to do the same. The LPC is not fit for purpose or functioning as advertised. The more complaints they receive the more likely it will speed things up so the issue can be resolved and the LPC system actually be functioning as advertised.
Message 17 of 24
talktome
Aspirant

I'm glad I found this thread as I've got the same problem with my DGN2200. I've spent a couple of days trying to figure this one out and was just about to contact the support team.
I must say I'm really dissapointed! I Purchased this router to replace my last fully functioning Netgear router just because I wanted parental control but it looks like I've wasted my money.
If Netgear had made indications that a fix was in the pipeline I would hold onto it but from what I've heard on this board about 6 month waits and still no solution..Looks like I'm going to seriously consider returning this to the shop I got it from for a refund.
Just wondering does anyone know if there is either a Netgear or any other make of router that has WORKING parental controls?
Thanks.
Message 18 of 24
bilbonvidia
Novice

Maybe they've been reading the forums!

Just received V1.0.0.19_1.0.19_Test3 and it looks to have fixed Live Parental Controls on the DGND3700.

TFFT.

Fingers crossed, will report back tomorrow.

Hopefully the fix can be ported to other devices with the same issue.
Message 19 of 24
dereksurfs
Novice

Geesh, I'm glad I saw this thread. LPC is the only reason I am considering Netgear DGND3700 over ASUS or Cisco. Then I find out here that this feature is not working, problematic or just being fixed in some beta release after being out there for how long? Sorry, but this just sounds ridiculous. What is up with Netgear? They have had a serious problem in production for over 6 months and only now are starting to address it? So everyone's fingers are crossed?

On top of all this I am reading that r3 is an inferior product to r2 which is inferior to r1. Is anyone else noticing a trend here? :confused:

Derek
Message 20 of 24
dereksurfs
Novice

dereksurfs wrote:
Geesh, I'm glad I saw this thread. LPC is the only reason I am considering Netgear DGND3700 over ASUS or Cisco. Then I find out here that this feature is not working, problematic or just being fixed in some beta release after being out there for how long? Sorry, but this just sounds ridiculous. What is up with Netgear? They have had a serious problem in production for over 6 months and only now are starting to address it? So everyone's fingers are crossed?

On top of all this I am reading that r3 is an inferior product to r2 which is inferior to r1. Is anyone else noticing a trend here? :confused:

Derek

I actually just realized you guys are talking about their ADSL router. I am interested in buying the WNDR3700. Still, I can imagine if one several Netgear models have problems with this feature, others will as well.
Message 21 of 24
aclow
Aspirant

hbhunt wrote:
I am trying to use the open DNS to block sites from the teenagers in the house. It works once I get a connection on the dsl line but once I loose the connection which happens a lot with the DGND3700 the open DNS stops working until I get on ny pc and use the Net Gear parental controls to engage them again. I use a Mac so this is a big pain. I wish NetGear would do something about this issue with all the dropped connections on the DGND3700.

Try NETGEAR Genie, which has a Mac version (OS 10.6 or later).
It allows you to turn Live Parental Controls on or off.
http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/netgear-genie.aspx
Message 22 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

aclow wrote:
Try NETGEAR Genie, which has a Mac version (OS 10.6 or later).
It allows you to turn Live Parental Controls on or off.
http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/netgear-genie.aspx

Thread is not related to Mac
Message 23 of 24
Scubbie
Apprentice

Also Netgear Genie does not currently work with the DGND3700.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7