Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi 2g stopped connecting, 5g fine

ferrvittorio
Aspirant

WiFi 2g stopped connecting, 5g fine

Hi,

Router suddenly started broadcasting spikes on 2g network, which became unavailable. Spikes in blue in the attached snapshots.

5g is fine.

Don't know what to think wheter firmware issue, or hardware fault or interference issue...

Thanks

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: WiFi 2g stopped connecting, 5g fine

@ferrvittorio wrote:
Hi,
Why a bad idea

Because having two routers in a chain can confuse the network. It goes against all the "rules".

The correct way to achieve what you want is to put the D6400 into modem only mode and then to use the anonymous router as a router.

Either that or put the anonymous router into access point mode.

I have played around with the D6400 in various configurations. At the moment it is in modem only mode (an easy tweak) feeds a R7800 router. In the past I played with the R7000P.

Both routers have better wifi than the D6400, as you;d expect given their list price. So I have turned off the wifi on the modem.

None of this explains why the 2.4GHz wifi on your D6400 is playing up. Hard to know where the spikes come from, but troubleshooting with the thing in the recommended configuration wouldn't be a bad idea. Netgear's techies are likely to wash their hands of anything out of the ordinary.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to switch the 2g channels? Have you tried a factory reset? And if you believe the 2ghz has failed you may need to contact Netgear support.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9

.... and your firmware version is?

You say you have the D6400. You describe it as your router. In normal use it is a modem-router. Is that how you run it, or is it in access point or some other mode?

Message 3 of 9
ferrvittorio
Aspirant

Hi all
I use d6400 as router and have last firmware

I now believe my 2g to be faulty, so I cascaded another router for the 2g part

Thanks
Message 4 of 9

Sounds like you have two routers on your network. That is a bad idea.

I still do not understand your network.

What is your modem?

What is the other router?

What is the firmware in the D6400?

Message 5 of 9
ferrvittorio
Aspirant

Hi,
Why a bad idea
D6400 fw is V1.0.0.74_1.0.74, d6400 is acting ad modem and router LAN/WiFi 5g.

The other router (cascaded LAN to LAN) takes care just of the 2g part
Message 6 of 9

@ferrvittorio wrote:
Hi,
Why a bad idea

Because having two routers in a chain can confuse the network. It goes against all the "rules".

The correct way to achieve what you want is to put the D6400 into modem only mode and then to use the anonymous router as a router.

Either that or put the anonymous router into access point mode.

I have played around with the D6400 in various configurations. At the moment it is in modem only mode (an easy tweak) feeds a R7800 router. In the past I played with the R7000P.

Both routers have better wifi than the D6400, as you;d expect given their list price. So I have turned off the wifi on the modem.

None of this explains why the 2.4GHz wifi on your D6400 is playing up. Hard to know where the spikes come from, but troubleshooting with the thing in the recommended configuration wouldn't be a bad idea. Netgear's techies are likely to wash their hands of anything out of the ordinary.

Message 7 of 9
ferrvittorio
Aspirant

Very out of ordinare solution indeed! Perhaps antennas are separate, will keep this as a temporary solution until I figure something else.

The other router acts normally and has no spikes, though
Message 8 of 9
tominwi
Luminary

Shot-in-the-dark: I found a serious bug in my D7000 wrt Beamforming. Router wouldn't stay working for more than a day w/o locking up. Turned-off Beamforming, now has worked 19 days and still counting.

Presumably these devices share some code so maybe you could at least try it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7