Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wierd D7000 wireless fault with new laptop

geoffcc
Aspirant

Wierd D7000 wireless fault with new laptop

My D7000 appeared to be working OK until I bought a new laptop. The laptop would connect to the router OK, but once it did all other devices on wifi, and the laptop, ran very very slowly (less than 2Mbps instead of 30 plus Mbps). I thought it was the ISP, but it wasn't. This happened regardless if I connected on a 2.4 or 5GHZ channel and to all devices whether they were on 2.4 or 5GHZ. Ethernet connected devices appeared to be OK.  Disconnect the laptop and everything fine again. I plugged in a usb wifi dongle and used that rather than the inbuilt wifi adapter on the new laptop, but same result - i.e everything on wifi running very slowly.  However, if I connected to the wifi via my tethered mobile (which was connected to the router via wifi), everything was fine with normal speeds. So something about the laptop's wifi, when connected directly to the router, makes the wifi bandwidth go right down.

So far everything pointed at the laptop having the problem. However, I swapped routers to one the isp had provided and everything now works fine. 

I used metageek's Insider to look at the signals coming from the D7000 and noticed something odd, which might be related to the fault. On the 2.4GHZ channel showing the Mac address of the router there was also another stronger signal on the same channel with a different Mac address. This was also coming from the D7000 even when nothing connected to it and with the new problem laptop not connected. Every time I changed channel this signal changed with it. Switch off the 2.4GHZ channel and the signal goes too. Looking at my network map there is nothing with the rogue signals Mac address and it does not seem to be part of the router, but clearly is.

I checked the wifi adapter settings of the laptop causing the problem with another latop that did not slow down the wifi when connected, and they appear to be the same as the new laptop's except the old laptop's it is only 802.11a/g and the new laptop is 802.11n.  However, my phone has wifi 6 and that connects to the router without slowing the bandwidth.

The new laptop has a problem, but clearly the fault is with the router. Something with the new laptop triggers the problem with the router.  I am at a complete loss to understand what is causing it.  Any ideas?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Wierd D7000 wireless fault with new laptop

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 5
geoffcc
Aspirant

The router firmware  is V1.0.1.78_1.0.1  I think this is the latest

Just cannot figure out how connecting a wifi device - that is not doing anything to use bandwidth - can deprive all other wifi connected devices of bandwidth to such a substantial degree. 

Message 3 of 5

@geoffcc wrote:

The router firmware  is V1.0.1.78_1.0.1  I think this is the latest

Visit the support pages and look for the latest.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware for your device.

@geoffcc wrote:

Just cannot figure out how connecting a wifi device - that is not doing anything to use bandwidth - can deprive all other wifi connected devices of bandwidth to such a substantial degree. 

I'm with you there. Puzzling.

Tried different wifi channels?

Message 4 of 5
geoffcc
Aspirant

Yes tried different channels.   

It does appear the router has a fault, because before I had this problem with the new laptop,  I had been using my Xbox One plus Kinect for skyping and it was working a treat. Then it started crashing as soon as more than 3 people were on the call, even though the test for up and download showed plenty of bandwidth. I has assumed it was the Xbox, but now with another router it is working fine again. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7