Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will this model be support for long since it looks like it came out in 2012?

Trillium2
Aspirant

Will this model be support for long since it looks like it came out in 2012?

I have a dying ActionTec PK5000 where the wireless is going out. Apparently this model is not supported anymore with Actiontec so that lead me to wonder if my replacement will have a limited life due to lack of up date support to it. This is the Netgear model I am contiplating on buying:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/dgnd3700.aspx

It is already about 5 yrs old and don't want to spend $174 on something that has very limited lift span. Since a ADSL is working on my dsl line then I need another ADSL2+ type modem/router for a replacement. I thought this would be the model that would work best for my 7-12Mbps CenturyLink dsl account.

I read there is another more expensive ADSL2+ model where voice activation for Amazon stuff is available but I don't want Amazon listening in all the time.

How long does Netgear intend to support this model  I am interested in or have they already stopped the support? If they have stopped with the support what Netgear model would work for my CenturyLink ADSL dsl line and why?

Thanks for any insights you may have on this.

Model: DGND3700v2|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 1 of 9
Trillium2
Aspirant

Re: Will this model be support for long since it looks like it came out in 2012?

I decided to call Netgear after finding the phone number on Amazon FAQs 888-638-4327 and found out that there are three newer models D6200, D6400 and D7000 I might want to look at since the N600 has been out for five years. The only problem I may have with these models is some have voice activation with Amazon which is just an awful thought to have Amazon listening in on everything. I don't know why I would even need that. I am concerned these new models are going to be expensive compared to ActionTecs new model that is about $60.00

Message 2 of 9

Re: Will this model be support for long since it looks like it came out in 2012?

@Trillium2 wrote:

The only problem I may have with these models is some have voice activation with Amazon which is just an awful thought to have Amazon listening in on everything.

I have never seen any mention of this before. Have you looked at the specification for these on the Netgear website?

I have a D6400 and it has nothing to suggest that Amazon can listen to me. There's nothing on it that can listen to anything. It is just a modem/router.

Maybe what Amazon is saying is that you can use these devices if you buy one of its gadgets. I doubt if Netgear has built in something that you cannot disable.

As to how long Netgear supports things, it probably depends on what you mean by "support". It naturally provides firmware updates to current products more often than it does for obsolete kit. But even there it has updated some older kit. But there isn't much it can do for a five-year old modem/router beyond fixing security issues that no one knew about when it was made. Nor can it do anything to support Internet technology that wasn't around back then.

If your five-year old device is working, what do you want to do that it isn't up to?

Message 3 of 9

@Trillium2 wrote:

I have a dying ActionTec PK5000 where the wireless is going out.

Since a ADSL is working on my dsl line then I need another ADSL2+ type modem/router for a replacement. I thought this would be the model that would work best for my 7-12Mbps CenturyLink dsl account.

What is it you are trying to fix? The wifi or the ADSL.

Any modern DSL router should handle whatever CenturyLink throws at you. But be careful to check that it can handle CenturyLink's type of DSL.

Some ISPs use different DSL protocols.

If you search this place for CenturyLink you may find messages from other customers who have tried different Netgear hardware.

Maybe CenturyLink also has pages with recommended modems, or a customer forum where people compare notes.

Message 4 of 9
Trillium2
Aspirant

I have a D6400 and it has nothing to suggest that Amazon can listen to me. There's nothing on it that can listen to anything. It is just a modem/router.

The D7000 Model is the newest of all these and has the longest life due to up date support, here is what it says about the voice activation feature:

"High-powered amplifiers & antennas to extend your Wi-Fi coverage. Nighthawk supports ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ and VDSL/VDSL2. Using Amazon Alexa, control your home network with voice commands."

I have never seen any mention of this before. Have you looked at the specification for these on the Netgear website? Yep

The D6400 looks like it must have come out over two years ago and the reviews on Amazon is a 50/50 and a mixed bag of bad and good. Not that encouraging.

Maybe what Amazon is saying is that you can use these devices if you buy one of its gadgets. I doubt if Netgear has built in something that you cannot disable.

Well not sure and when I mentioned this to the broken english person about the Amazon thing I didn't get an answer on this. She had no idea about the product line. This was a presales call so she should have known more.

As to how long Netgear supports things, it probably depends on what you mean by "support". It naturally provides firmware updates to current products more often than it does for obsolete kit. But even there it has updated some older kit. But there isn't much it can do for a five-year old modem/router beyond fixing security issues that no one knew about when it was made. Nor can it do anything to support Internet technology that wasn't around back then.

My iphone 4 lasted about 3 yrs before the support dropped and ability to install any apps. This now affected it's security and my abilty to use just basic apps like a keyboard! I think that is premature and a waste so I am now much more picky with whom I do business with and the planned obsolence that is built in. I am very concerned that we are able to have support for the life of the product is possible and that the product has enough reasonable resources to last longer.

If your five-year old device is working, what do you want to do that it isn't up to?

This Actiontec lasted 8 yrs before the wireless has gone out and I have no idea how long these NetGear ones last. But the support for the ActionTec ceased and not sure when since they don't say but I do worry this affect's it's security like my iphone and I had no idea when this expired. I would like to know when the support for this unit expires. All the major OS companies let folks know when stop supporting due to the security risks. I am concerned about the loose ends with all this. I just learned that when CL did a firm ware update back in 2011 that when it broke my ability to access my modem. So it was not due to my unit being too old it was all about a forced firmware update breaking the modem software and I had no idea this occurred from Actiontec or CenturyLink. So did this break create a access hole for security breach? Maybe so. So yeah we do need to be asking more questions of these modem/router makers and we do need to understand and demand a better approach on the up dates from what I can see so far. I am sure the experts could really point out the holes in all this specifically.

Message 5 of 9
Trillium2
Aspirant

What is it you are trying to fix? The wifi or the ADSL.

I need a replacement for my CenturyLink ADSL. But have learned more about the risks and problems associated with these types of units and want to be more proactive in the next purchase. The last one I just blindly bought from Qwest and I am not sure that is the best strategy about years of dealing with CL practices. I do not want to use Actiontec since I do think this partnership is too cozy. When I had called Actiontec years ago asking about updates they said all the updates were controlled by Century Link which was kind of a creepy feeling since CL doesn't have my best interests at heart. Thus the forced firmware update they did in 2011 breaking the code and my ability to look at my modem software. Century Link conveniently plays dumb on this. So I am looking for manufacturer that has MY best interests at heart no big telecom. I don't know if that is even possible at this point.

Any modern DSL router should handle whatever CenturyLink throws at you. But be careful to check that it can handle CenturyLink's type of DSL.

My current router is an Actiontec PK5000 which is solely a ADSL from what I have been able to find out. I have the PPP username and password but not sure that is enough. Last night we watched Netflix and now I see in the upper left hand corner that Netflix is now showing me at what Mbps the show is streaming. It was only at 1Mbps is all. So CenturyLink and others are really closing down the spigot further than what is reported here:

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/us/

So nationally it shows CL is streaming at about 3Mbps but in fact mine was streaming at only 1Mbps. I do think that it would be easier to send my modem a firmware update to slow things down that would be hard to detect if you were watching for downthrottling with an ISP. So yeah updates could be a work around to cheat consumers out of what they are paying for. Having a modem software that can be locked and not fiddled with ISP up dates might be one way of keeping the ISP more honest. Certainly they don't do it on their own and certainly the FCC doesn't do much either. 

Some ISPs use different DSL protocols.

Yes

If you search this place for CenturyLink you may find messages from other customers who have tried different Netgear hardware.

I am posting on several forums to find better information.

Maybe CenturyLink also has pages with recommended modems, or a customer forum where people compare notes.

I am very careful about weighing what CL tells me or their sites versus reality.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One thing that has come up lately in these forums is that Centurylink has started to roll out Vectoring G.993.5 on their DSL. As far as I know when CL does this the Netgear devices quit working even though the Netgear device says it supports G.993.5. Here's a list of devices that CL has tested and approved. There are no Netgear devices listed. That does not mean Netgear devices won't work, it just means that Netgear has not done anything to get their devices certified by CL.

https://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-compatibility-table.html

Model: DGND3700v1|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 7 of 9

That is a much more informed, and informative, explanation of my comment:

I knew I had seen something along those lines.

@w3wilkes wrote:

One thing that has come up lately in these forums is that Centurylink has started to roll out Vectoring G.993.5 on their DSL.

That's it. Which is where this needs investigation:

My current router is an Actiontec PK5000 which is solely a ADSL from what I have been able to find out.

Not all DSLs are the same. Just ask the Australians struggling with NBN. Not to mention those of use in the UK with BT's wonky implementation of IPv6.

And don't even talk about "bonded" connections.

Netgear could help by providing better compatibility charts for modems and ISPs.

These might be useful:

DM200 & Centurylink vectoring issues - NETGEAR Communities

Centurylink going to be changint protocols to vect... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 9
Trillium2
Aspirant

@w3wilks  This makes sense since I was scanning the NetGear reviews with regards to Century Link and I felt like there were no models that stood out. So many had  mixed reviews and the got me thinking that CL must be doing updates once again to lock out things it doesn't like to support. I am looking at Comcast now and maybe a business account with fiber to the house or Rfog. I was pulling up the states from the FCC December breakdown of performance with all the different internet providers and well cable is constantly faster than dsl with Century Link. Also CL big thing to say from their people is  how they guarantee 80% of what you pay for if not they will fix it. Well we all know how protracted these fixes will go and who know if they ever fix it. But that 80% number they keep saying is not that stellar from all the graphs I was looking at yesterday. Today I will track down neighbors on the Xfinity they put in about 3 yrs on this road to see how they like it. Also the model that CL would see me is the Zyxel C110Z and after reading the reviews for that unit I am less confident about it working effectively. You would have thought they would have better equipment to sell. But maybe it all goes back to the fact they don't up grade the equipement in the street and to the house so nothing can really offset all the problems this legacy pipeline provides. It is old and deteriorating and will never produce good results. So CL takes it on the chin with it all rather than fixing and addressing the obvious. The irony here is fiber holds us so much better for maintence long term not to mention it does a better job sending the signal. But CL doesn't have to fret too much since they are a monopoly and you get what you get with them. I was a cord cutter long ago but I am reconsidering now. Also maybe the cable lines are freed up more now. I read that something like %50 of all cord cutters occurred in the past two years alone. During this time their speeds have increased and they seem to be addressing it with fast fiber to the houses. So as they quietly put in this faster fiber one day they will just flip a switch and everyone will get really fast speeds and it will be game over for CL.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7