Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless devices drop out

Orare76
Aspirant

Wireless devices drop out

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has annoying drop outs with WiFi Devices on this router? I have two computers that have ac1300 and they never drop out. Samsung phones, tablet and and Apple Ipad all regularly drop off the WiFi network. My son gets very frustrated when he is trying to stream from youtube. The only devices that show these symptoms are the phones and tablets. I have made sure our WiFi channels are manually chosen due to a high density of WiFi routers near my house. The drop outs do not happen at any regular interval but they happen quite often. The tablets/phones report that the internet is no longer available but the PC and Playstation do not drop out during these episodes. When I turn off WiFi on the devices and turn it back on they regain internet connection. This would not be so tough if my son were old enough to do this for himself but he is only 4.

Is there something I can adjust on the D7000? Also I have to state that the internet does not drop out. The PC which is connected wirelessly never exhibits this behaviour at all.

Orare76

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wireless devices drop out

are you on the latest firmware for the D7000.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Orare76
Aspirant

I have V1.0.1.50_1.0.1 as my current firmware. This issue of random wifi drop outs has been a fairly regular thing and now even previously reliable devices like my PCs are dropping out. The modem itself is still on the internet but I just get a warning ! next to the wifi symbol and I have to disconnect and reconnect for it to let me browse again when the issue strikes.

Message 3 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Has these drop outs been happening the whole time you have had the D7000 or did they start happening when everything worked fine before?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 11
Brian-S
Tutor

Sorry to hijack the post I have the exact same model with the same firmware and the same issue, my router has done this from day 1 and seems to be getting worse since last firmware upgrade. it is definately a Netgear Router issue as going back to the BT Hub gives no problem with devices dropping out. It is only on the wifi with my device the wired devices do not appear to be affected, I am getting progressively tee d off with this as it is happening continuously.

Message 5 of 11
Orare76
Aspirant

It was from when I bought the modem but only affected Apple products. After a few firmware upgrades now I can say that the IPad, Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet and our S8 phones have this trouble regularly. A couple times an hour. The two PCs, laptop, smart TV and PS4 has shown some issues but no where near as frequent as the hand held devices. They are like once every two weeks or so.

Message 6 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If its a ongoing issue since the start you may want to contact support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 7 of 11
Brian-S
Tutor

If Netgear had a proper support program for their products then there would be no need for this forum. When Netgear is prepared to offer support without the need for premium calls then we would contact them,  it is absolutely rediculous that this company does not offer proper support for their products thru its warranty period like other manufacturers, 3 months is simply too rediculous for words. I will probably just take it back to the retailer as the product is still within 1 year old and is clearly defective.

Message 8 of 11
Brian-S
Tutor

I should add that in the UK all products must be of Merchantable quality, in other words it must work for a reasonable period of time. As far as I am aware electrical products are  deemed to be approx 5 years life expectancy.  The standard 1 year warranty is superceded by this legislation. Charging customers for support to keep these products upto date or to fix issues within the 1 year warranty period would also be deemed to be within this legislation and charging for this would more than likely be ilegal in the UK. I think this issue should probably be taken to the trading standards for a ruling.

Message 9 of 11

@Brian-S wrote:

....it is definately a Netgear Router issue as going back to the BT Hub gives no problem with devices dropping out.

The only way to confirm that this is definitely down to the Netgear router is to have exactly the same settings for wifi on the Netgear and BT devices.

The setup of a BT modem starts out very different from that used by Netgear. For example, BT uses a single SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz. (Homehub 5) Most Netgear devices prefer separate SSIDs. Netgear also has Auto setting as the default for wifi channels. Does BT? Have you tried different channels for your Netgear wifi?

If the issue got worse after a firmware flash, did you do a factory reset after applying the new firmware.

Personally I avoid the BT modem – a have a spare still in its shrink wrap – because it lacks too many features, especially the controllability. It does, though, support BT's flavour of IPv6. With luck Netgear will offer products that support this by the time it becomes essential.

Message 10 of 11

@Brian-S wrote:

If Netgear had a proper support program for their products then there would be no need for this forum.

Most hardware makers run similar forums because it is cheaper and quicker than a phone line. Indeed, BT relies almost exclusively on its forum. But it does a better job than Netgear by having an official escalation process that can trigger the intervention of BT's own support people.

That can happen here, but it isn't as effective as BT's.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7