Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't change DNS servers N300

tfw7
Aspirant

can't change DNS servers N300

Hi - trying to change the DNS servers on my router (currently have them set to open DNS). For some reason it won't save anything new I type in (eg my ISP settings). Have tried a few times without success. Router then loses internet connectivity after I try.

Model: DGN2200|Wireless-N 300 Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: can't change DNS servers N300

Hello tfw7

Have you tried to use different web browsers? also make sure you have pop up blockers disabled when changing settings.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @tfw7

Welcome to the community!

Kindly provide more details on what you're trying to achieve?

If you're using OpenDNS, the router will assign the DNS IP addresses from OpenDNS in order for it to work.

What's the exact firmware version you're using?

Message 2 of 7
tfw7
Aspirant

Hi

Model is DGN2200v3, firmware v1.1.00.25_1.100.25. says it is up to date when I looked to see if there was an update.

I am trying to change my DNS servers from open DNS (was recommended to try this by my ISP as part of a wider issue regarding occasionally dropping of internet when internet light goes red on router).

However when I go to enter new DNS settings under "internet setup", whilst it allows me to type in the DNS boxes, eg my ISP or google DNS server, when I click "apply", it does not change but always retains the open DNS settings of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tfw7

Have you tried to use different web browsers? also make sure you have pop up blockers disabled when changing settings.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
tfw7
Aspirant

l will try that, thanks - have only tried in IE at the moment.

At some point in the past I must have been able to access it to put in the open DNS details.

It's frustrating as it allows me to type, but just doesn't seem to save it!

Message 5 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Try with WAN cable disconnected or just reset the router to go back to default DNS. Or you can run dnsbench (if your OS is Windows) to find best one for you.(usually it is default one)

Message 6 of 7
tfw7
Aspirant

thanks Darren - tried a different browser (FF) and it worked straight away!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7