Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connect a series of wifi extenders

Blade2946
Aspirant

connect a series of wifi extenders

Hello Guys

I am new to this site, hope this is the correct manner of posting.

My question have been most likely been asked before, apologies. 

What is the best way to connect a series of Wi-Fi extenders?

For example my first Wi-Fi extender is connected to my DSL Router, in my case the basic DGN 2200V4. 

The first Wi-Fi extender is a N600 & the second is a N300.

Currently as mentioned the N600 is connected to the DGN2200V4, basics 101.

The N300 I have connected to the N600, & subsequently I connect all other Wi-Fi extenders to the N600.

So to ensure I provide information correctly, all other WI-FI extenders, connected in the chain I connected to the N600. 

Is my thinking correct by connected all other extenders to the N600 correct to ensure the signal, is extended correctly? 

Should this not be correct, what are the recommended actions to follow, in terms of best practice? 

In my case I only use the 2.4GHZ range, since the DGN2200V4 is not 5GHZ capable. 

Thank you kindly in advance for any advice & assistance.

Model: DGN2200Bv4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: connect a series of wifi extenders

The ideal setup is an Ethernet (or Powerline, which is much less reliable) backbone to which all extenders and the router are connected.  In Netgear parlance, extenders connected in this manner run in AP (Access Point) Mode (Note: Not all Netgear extenders support AP Mode).  This enables the extenders to fully dedicate their Wi-Fi radios to servicing devices.  You can also set up all extenders to broadcast the same SSID as the main router for easy roaming.

If it's impractical to set up Ethernet, then the next preferred setup is to wirelessly connect all extenders to the main router.  There are a couple of downsides.  This setup is 50% slower because extenders must now devote half of their time relaying traffic with the router.  In addition, the extenders cannot broadcast the same SSID as the main router because there is a risk that extenders could improperly connect to each other and form a loop, which would render them temporarily useless.

It is not recommended to connect one extender to another extender in series wirelessly because of the 50% speed penalty.  Devices connected to the second extender will see a 75% drop in speed compared to a Wi-Fi connection to the main router.  One way to avoid this double whammy is to connect the second extender to the first extender via Ethernet.  The second extender would need to run in AP Mode.

Message 2 of 4
Blade2946
Aspirant

Hello 

Thank you so much for the feedback, I reconfigured the extenders & connected them to the main DSL router. 

The first extender the N600 I setup with the Fastlane option. The second extender connected fine. "A very old & basic Trend net TEW-736RE"

Now my old N300 refuses to connect to the main DSL Router for some strange reason, I assume it due to the Fastlane option on the N600?

I already ensured to do a factory reset, I normal do this with all the extenders if I do a fresh setup. 

I will wait once fiber rolls out in our area then I will buy a new DSL router & extenders & ensure they all have AP mode options. 

If I setup the main DSL router to also be AP, I assume I lose the DSL modem functionality? 

Anyways thank you again so much for taking the time to reply to my post.

I never knew about this site, if I did I would have had so much less issues. 

Thank you again.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

@Blade2946 wrote:

Hello 

Thank you so much for the feedback, I reconfigured the extenders & connected them to the main DSL router. 

The first extender the N600 I setup with the Fastlane option. The second extender connected fine. "A very old & basic Trend net TEW-736RE"

Now my old N300 refuses to connect to the main DSL Router for some strange reason, I assume it due to the Fastlane option on the N600?

I already ensured to do a factory reset, I normal do this with all the extenders if I do a fresh setup. 

Fastlane on the N600 should not have anything to do with the N300's inability to connect to the main DSL router.  You don't need Fastlane if your N600 is wired to the main DSL router, so turn it off.

I will wait once fiber rolls out in our area then I will buy a new DSL router & extenders & ensure they all have AP mode options. 

If you get fiber to the home, then you won't need a DSL router.  A regular Wi-Fi router will be sufficient.  There's also a good chance that your ISP will provide you with a router.  You can opt to use it instead of getting your own.  And you don't necessarily need to get new extenders.  If your devices don't support 802.11ac, then your existing extenders may be fine.

If I setup the main DSL router to also be AP, I assume I lose the DSL modem functionality? 

Yes, but you won't need it.

Anyways thank you again so much for taking the time to reply to my post.

I never knew about this site, if I did I would have had so much less issues. 

Thank you again.

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7