Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connect via wifi

Johnrobhir
Tutor

connect via wifi

Hello, First time of posting but hope someone can help, I have a new D6400 /AC1600 adsl router, I set it up and it worked fine but I have a strange problem.

When  I have all my household items eg Mobiles /tvs etc everything works fine untill after a few days if I switch my phone off and back on I cannot connect to the router wifi, I get a message saying Connected to wifi but may be no internet even though my computer is connected to the internet via Ethernet cable and works no problem, at first I thought it was my phone but it does it with my wifes phone ass well which is a different make and the smart TV does the same, this has happened several times, I have rebooted several times and when running WPS it still get WIFi but no internet.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and hopfully could point me in the right direction.

All led lights as they should be

My Phone 3 months old

My Wifes a Yr

Tv LG

Updated Firmware today no change to problem

regards johnrobhir

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Johnrobhir
Tutor

Re: connect via wifi

Hello, The problem I had seems to be corrected now, I switched my WiFi Extender off, I obviously didn't sync it with my new router, with the extender switched off we have had no problem connecting to WiFi with Internet access. Cant believe it was something so simple.
Thanks for all the help
Regards
Johnrobhir

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@Johnrobhir wrote:

Updated Firmware today no change to problem

What firmware version do you actually have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 2 of 5
Johnrobhir
Tutor

Hello, thanks for your reply, I cant remember the firmware update details but I posted on my broadband supplier forum and one has come up with an answer that might just fix the problem, when i upgraded to the netgear router I put a wifi Extender that was originally connected to my previous router, i just plugged in and did not sync with new one which possibly cause the error i am getting.
I've switched it off and will trial it for a while
Regards johnrobhir
Message 3 of 5

@Johnrobhir wrote:
...when i upgraded to the netgear router I put a wifi Extender that was originally connected to my previous router, i just plugged in and did not sync with new one which possibly cause the error i am getting....

That makes sense. When you replace one link in the network chain you have to start everything in the correct order.

If the old extender is just that, an extender, rather than a router put into AP or bridge (WDS) mode,  then reset it and add it back into the new network.

If it is a router, then you may have to go in and change its mode after you do the reset.

Message 4 of 5
Johnrobhir
Tutor

Hello, The problem I had seems to be corrected now, I switched my WiFi Extender off, I obviously didn't sync it with my new router, with the extender switched off we have had no problem connecting to WiFi with Internet access. Cant believe it was something so simple.
Thanks for all the help
Regards
Johnrobhir
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7