Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

d7000v2 last firmware not to lose Blocked Services on reboot?

petershaw9
Aspirant

d7000v2 last firmware not to lose Blocked Services on reboot?

I purchased this router as I had used the previous version before and knew that it had the blocking / access features I wanted.

With the latest firmware V1.0.0.82_1.0.1 any rules set in Security > Blocked Services appear to be lost on reboot.

Have been back to V1.0.0.80 abnd V1.0.0.76 but these both show the same behaviour.

Have also done a factory reset with the .82 firmware but no improvement.

Does anyone know the last firmware version where Blocked Service settings were not lost on router reboot? Or am I missing something obvious?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
petershaw9
Aspirant

Re: d7000v2 last firmware not to lose Blocked Services on reboot?

With more trial and error I think I have narrowed down the problem and got a work-around.

In Security > Block Services, if I choose the pre-defined "Any(TCP)" Service Type for my rule then the entry is not lost on reboot. If I choose the pre-defined "ALL" Service Type then the rule is lost on reboot. Any(TCP) will work for me and is retained on reboot so happily using that from here on.

Hopefully it's just me affected by this.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@petershaw9 wrote:

I purchased this router as I had used the previous version before and knew that it had the blocking / access features I wanted.

First, you say !this router". The D7000v2  is a DSL modem/router is that what you have? Is it in modem/router mode?

I ask because someone else has been playing around with a modem/router  in AP mode. That removes various features.

With the latest firmware V1.0.0.82_1.0.1 any rules set in Security > Blocked Services appear to be lost on reboot.

So, you can get to and change the settings but they don't stick?

Do they actually work if you don't reboot?

Any hint of wonky behaviour on the router's logs?

Sounds more like a bug than a change in the features. (These sometimes get moved around with different firmware.)

Any particular service causing grief?

Message 2 of 5
petershaw9
Aspirant

Yes. D7000v2 modem/router. I have done a factory reset and just added ISP username and password so presume it's operating as modem/router. Internet access is fine.

Yes, I can change the settings in Security > Blocked Services and the specified single IP is added to the list at the foot of the page and blocked as expected. I'm selecting the preset ALL service from the drop down menu.

Nothing is recorded in the log when services are blocked, even though that option is selected in the Log settings.

When the modem/router is rebooted then the Security > Blocked Services list displays as empty. Can re-add etc. but that's not how I think it should work. Definitely a bug hence the question asking how far back in firmware versions I need to go to get one that works.

Would be great if someone else has the same modem/router and confirm they see the same behaviour.

Many thanks all,

Message 3 of 5

@petershaw9 wrote:

Would be great if someone else has the same modem/router and confirm they see the same behaviour.

Yes. With that detail we could chase Netgear for some sort of follow up.

Message 4 of 5
petershaw9
Aspirant

With more trial and error I think I have narrowed down the problem and got a work-around.

In Security > Block Services, if I choose the pre-defined "Any(TCP)" Service Type for my rule then the entry is not lost on reboot. If I choose the pre-defined "ALL" Service Type then the rule is lost on reboot. Any(TCP) will work for me and is retained on reboot so happily using that from here on.

Hopefully it's just me affected by this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7