Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

d7800 keeps dropping ADSL connection

Lovs2look
Tutor

d7800 keeps dropping ADSL connection

Bought this modem/router after reading several positive reviews to see if it could improve my home WIFI. My old TP-Link only had 2.4GHz and no MU-MIMO or beamforming.

Unboxed, plugged it in and did the recommended firmware upgrade to v56 (I think) but since then it constantly drops the internet connection to all devices with a message similar to "there is no cable connected ...blah blah"

Restarting the device made it work again, until the next time it dropped out.

Tonight, even the restart wouldn't allow it to connect. Same message over and over again.

Plugged my old TP-Link in and we have a working connection again.

I can see the firmware is crap for this device and some people are having to resort to a third party firmware just to get their modem to work! Sheesh.

Can someone tell me what is a stable firmware version for the D7800 and where to download it from?

I'm still on ADSL2+ (NBN isn't available here yet) and we have approx 8 devices that connect via WIFI.

I really had high hopes for this device, but so far its just caused frustration and bitterness.

Please help!

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Lovs2look
Tutor

Re: d7800 keeps dropping ADSL connection

If anyone is interested, I dropped the firmware back to version 1.0.1.22 and it has stayed up and running fine for 3 days straight now. So I guess this is the fix, but seriously...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Lovs2look
Tutor

Well no one replied yet, so I did a few HOURS research and finally found the previous firmware downloads. I'm going to try 1.0.1.22 just because one poster had success with it, but for a $400AUD device it is beyond incompetent that the latest firmware breaks it so bad that it is unuseable. I wish I'd read all these posts about bad firmware BEFORE buying the damn thing. Obviously Netgear themselves don't read these forums and help their customers. Wish me luck...

Message 2 of 3
Lovs2look
Tutor

If anyone is interested, I dropped the firmware back to version 1.0.1.22 and it has stayed up and running fine for 3 days straight now. So I guess this is the fix, but seriously...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7