Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

d8500 + SKYWIFI HUB

ippo
Aspirant

d8500 + SKYWIFI HUB

I need to install the d8500 as router after skywifi hub (italy). Any ideas?

Install skywifi as modem only and via ethernet lease an ip of the modem as dhcp reservation?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: d8500 + SKYWIFI HUB

Both devices have router capability. It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions. Then setup the D8500 in router mode.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode and leave the gateway in router mode.. This disables the netgears routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 9
ippo
Aspirant

If i would like to follow the point 1, i need to do the following step if i am correct and if on skywifi it is possible (i will see)

1)put skywifi in modem only

2) find how to fix a dhcp reservation on skywifi on a certain address of the sky xxx.xxx.xxx.xyz specifiyng the mac address of the d8500

3) on the d8500 in internet specification specify the macaddress of skywifi

4) on skywifi fix the nat static using the address specified before xxx.xxx.xxx.xyz and the macaddress of d8500

5) specify in d8500 the new addres in lan setting and in internet setting the first ip should be the reserved ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xyz

6)connect phisically skywifi lan socket to wan socket of d8500

7)end

Message 3 of 9

@ippo

Install skywifi as modem only ...

That's usually all you need to do, even with a modem/router like the d8500. (Just use it in router only mode.) Then leave it to the router to handle the rest.

Sadly, this is not always possible. Some ISPs go out of their way to frustrate customers.

Setting your Sky Hub Modem to Bridge mode (The answer is disappointing) – IT Blog Pros

More here:

sky broadband hub bridge mode - Google Search – sky broadband hub bridge mode

It may depend on your hardware. There may be various things that go under the label "SKYWIFI HUB".

Message 4 of 9
ippo
Aspirant

Sorry my request was incomplete the model of the skywifihub is sr203

Message 5 of 9

@ippo wrote:

Sorry my request was incomplete the model of the skywifihub is sr203

Sadly, that proves to be a Google hostile label.

sky router sr203 bridge mode - Google Search – sky router sr203 bridge mode

Message 6 of 9
ippo
Aspirant

To substitute The modem router sr203 fttc which netgear modem should i use?
Eventually with VoIP features?
Message 7 of 9

Ask Sky, and its other users, which devices work on that network. 

Message 8 of 9
ippo
Aspirant

Sky Italy has not a list of possibile substitutes. In The web as far as i know, there has not been Made this substitution.
I think that because d8500 is not compliant with dhcp 61, i cannot substitute The 8500 as modem router.
Neither It is not possibile to use d8500 as router depending in the modem because it is not possibile to create a dhcp reservation .
By now i can use d8500 only as AP
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7