Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

does netgear still sell DSL modems?

nguserny
Aspirant

does netgear still sell DSL modems?

why can't i find any new netgear ADSL modems (any model) for sale in stores or online? are these products still being made? have they been discontinued? are they supported? where can i buy one new? it seems really odd to me that i can't find any for sale... 

it doesn't matter what model D6400, D6200, D7000... none of the vendors/stores that are linked to on the NetGear website have these in stock (Staples, Walmart, Tiger Direct) and i can't find new modems on Amazon, BestBuy, etc. etc. - i've only see some second hand versions Amazon, Ebay etc. - why is this? 

i appreciate your help and insight - look like great products... whats up with this? 

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit, D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, DGND4000|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: does netgear still sell DSL modems?

DSL modems do seem to be dying in some markets. We still get them in the UK, but in the USA the prices have gone mad.

@nguserny wrote:

it doesn't matter what model D6400, D6200, D7000...

Those are modem/routers. Experienced users prefer separate modems and routers. That gives a wider range of routers with more features and more frequent firmware updates and improvements. The combined boxes also have other drawbacks, as I discovered when trying to use one in modem only mode.

If you can find one the DM200 is a basic modem only device. It does need careful configuration to disable its basic routering, but once done the DM200 is a workhorse modem. But I got a shock the last time I looked at US prices. Massively more than we pay in the UK, but prices here are also rising. Just avoid the usual suspects when buying.

Message 2 of 4
nguserny
Aspirant

Thanks, I really appreciate the reply. I only want a modem - I don't need a router but I have had trouble finding a modem that has decent reviews, that is still being sold/maintained (or frankly any that are still being supported, whatever ratings). I was looking at these router+modem models b/c you can disable the router and use it as a modem only

I didn't like the DM200 b/c of the insane price, yeah. $250 for a modem, crazy! And I read in these forums that it was discontinued? that and the fact i've ready people on these forums have problems setting it up... i feared there would be no support and i'd be stuck w/ a $250 brick

I have a lot of great netgear products, i've had a good experience with the brand, but if im going to buy a disctoninued product, i'd rather roll the dice with the Dlink DSL-520B it's <20% of the cost and has the same types of ratings and reviews. 

Message 3 of 4

I don't know what is going on with DSL modem prices. They have gone mad. Even here in the UK supplies seem to have dried up.

The DM200 suits me just fine. It cost me around £30. The age doesn't matter. If it works, there isn't much else you can ask it to do.

I gave up on the D6400 in modem-only mode because it takes too long to boot. By the time it is up and connected to the Internet the router behind it has timed out. You end up with a dead network. Fine if you are at home to restart things properly, but hopeless if you are away and there is a power cut.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7