Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: find manual a90 6290 router

Rosebud1
Tutor

find manual a90 6290 router

I'm told that by AT&T that my DSL router is an A90 6290.  (non-wifi) router.  I am trying to find the manual for that. 

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Are you sure that's the model number? 

do you have a picture? 

or can you log into the device and find a model number?

Message 2 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

I apologize for the typo's in my original post. 

I am helping out a family member, so I can not take a picture of it.  When I called AT&T today on their behalf, they told me it was an A90 6290 DSL (non-wifi) modem.   The best I can find, that looks like what my family member has is this.. 

I'm trying to find out if I can change this modem so it will broadcast in wifi.. or what i need to add to it, so it will send out a wifi signal...  and I'm not real computer saavy myself.. so I need something easy.. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6200-Modem-AT-DSL/dp/B00N80LKUI/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&... 

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Thats a quite older legacy modem only device. It only works with ATT's legacy dsl which maxes out around 6mbps. 

It doesn't have wifi built in. But you can buy a router to attach to it. That'll give you wifi and routing capability. 

Message 4 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

that's what I figured.. 

I'm looking for something akin to plug n play. that I can plug into the open ethernet port that will just send out the wifi signal.  They just purchased a new smart TV and although they have Dish Network, I want the TV to be able to access things like Netflix etc.  The exisiting modem is too far away to hardwire it to the modem.    

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Rosebud1 wrote:

that's what I figured.. 

I'm looking for something akin to plug n play. that I can plug into the open ethernet port that will just send out the wifi signal.  They just purchased a new smart TV and although they have Dish Network, I want the TV to be able to access things like Netflix etc.  The exisiting modem is too far away to hardwire it to the modem.    

? confused by this statement. 

A router setup would be pretty much plug and plug. The 6200 is a modem only device. Plug in a router, set it up, and you've got wifi. 

Message 6 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

Confused.. because it makes no sense. ! LOL sorry about that

I meant the TV is too far away from this modem to hardware it via ethernet cable. 

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Most newer routers would work well.

The only caveat is going to be the DSL speed. Most streaming services are going to struggle with those speeds. Regardless of how good the wifi is. 

Message 8 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

I have one of these here at my house.. would this work, do you think?

I really appreciate the time you are taking to talk me though this. 

https://www.amazon.com/2Wire-1701HG-Intelligent-Gateway-Broadband/dp/B000IEFG52 

Message 9 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

Now that's the answer I was waiting to hear.  I don't want to go through all this just for the DSL speed to be too slow to stream.. 

THANK YOU !  

Now.. If for some reason she wants Netflix etc., I can tell her she needs to upgrade the speed & get them out there to upgrade the modem.. 

THANK YOU !   

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

Netflix recommends a minimum of 5mbps for HD. The 6200 best speed is 6mbps. So run a speed test and see what they get.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
Message 11 of 12
Rosebud1
Tutor

Thank you,.. I will do that..I'm going back over to her house in a couple days.. I will run a test ! 

YOU ROCK !

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7