Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

modem/router combo for Verizon Enhanced DSL

karldickey
Aspirant

modem/router combo for Verizon Enhanced DSL

I'm a Windows 10 user with Verizon Enhanced DSL service (no fiber optic available) and have been using Verizon's supplied Actiontec gt784wn modem/router combo for the last half dozen years or more. I would like to upgrade to a better unit; what Netgear product(s) would best serve this purpose.

Message 1 of 5

Re: modem/router combo for Verizon Enhanced DSL

What are you looking for?  "A better unit" could mean anything.

Take your pick from this lot:

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 5
karldickey
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit; I have a very large living area(14 rooms), and I was looking for the maximum in bandwidth, signal strength and flexible range. Given the current configuration of devices, a bridge or extender should not be necessary, as long as the modem/router combo I use is of the best quality and efficiency.

Model: D1500|N300 WiFi DSL Modem Router-Essential Edition
Message 3 of 5
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you need a device that supports OpenVPN, you should stay away from Netgear D7000 series modem/routers. There are many complaints on these forums that the D7000's don't work with OpenVPN.

Message 4 of 5

@karldickey wrote:

Thanks for the reply - I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit; I have a very large living area(14 rooms), and I was looking for the maximum in bandwidth, signal strength and flexible range.

The link I provided should take you to a page that allows you to put in the size of your property and to narrow down the choice.

To me that sounds like a large space. I would not expect a single device to fill it with wifi.

That being the case, it might be worth looking at a combination of a modem and a router.

You could even look into the possibility of using the modem bit of your current Actiontec modem/router and simply adding a more capable router.

DSL modems, such as the DM200, are inexpensive. You could then pair that with a decent router. Not only does that give you more options, it can provide features that you won't get with a modem/router.

With as many rooms as that, I would look at the Orbi range, which gives you that option to add satellites to fill "not spots".

You said nothing about VPN, so, while it is hard to see why someone should throw that into the mix beyond riding a hobbyhorse, it is certainly worth sniffing around to see what features you really do want. For example, some devices support Disney Circle, to control the kids' access to the internet. Others have fancy QoS for gaming nuts. If you do need VPN, or any of these other features, then sniff around the forum to see which routers might fill the bill.

Of course, the first place to look is your Internet service provider, to see if it has a list of compatible modems. You don't want to buy something only to find that it won't work on the ISP's network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7