Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

modem/router

randyq
Aspirant

modem/router

I have ATT uverse presently, the modem/router is a att box called Arris NVG589. im trying to purchase a net gear ac1900 nighthawk but dont know which to purchase the "R" or the "D" or something else.

On the back of att modem/router it has dsl coming in from street at top of this box. at bottom of this box is a round cable screwed into a port called "cable line",this is for my cable tv, plus I have a phone line hooked into this. i have no idea which ac1900 to purchase.

Can anyone help, please. Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: modem/router

If you are looking to remove the NVG589 and replace it with your own modem/router, then you can't.  AT&T uses 802.1x which is an encrypted authentication protocol used by their modem/routers to connect to their network.  You have to keep the NVG589 installed.

What you can do, however, is install your own router behind the NVG589.  Many people do this to get better Wi-Fi, better routing features and/or more privacy.  The NVG589 has a feature called IP Passthrough that you will want to use in conjunction with installing your own router.  This avoids the undesirable double NAT situation that is common to a double router setup.

As far as Nighthawks are concerned, you'll want an "R" model for this.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

If you are looking to remove the NVG589 and replace it with your own modem/router, then you can't.  AT&T uses 802.1x which is an encrypted authentication protocol used by their modem/routers to connect to their network.  You have to keep the NVG589 installed.

What you can do, however, is install your own router behind the NVG589.  Many people do this to get better Wi-Fi, better routing features and/or more privacy.  The NVG589 has a feature called IP Passthrough that you will want to use in conjunction with installing your own router.  This avoids the undesirable double NAT situation that is common to a double router setup.

As far as Nighthawks are concerned, you'll want an "R" model for this.

Message 2 of 4

An earlier conversation:

Compatible AT&T Uverse wi-fi modem - NETGEAR Communities

More if you search this place for "uverse modem".

Message 3 of 4
randyq
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements