Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

my PC cannot find my Netgear DG834PN router in the list of wireless networks

V8lover
Aspirant

my PC cannot find my Netgear DG834PN router in the list of wireless networks

I can access my router and the Internet using my tablet and my laptop but not my desktop PC. so I know the router is working OK. I know my wi-fi dongle is working OK because the wireless network list shows other networks.

The desktop PC was accessing the Internet fine until a couple of days ago. So I guess the problem is with a setting on the PC, but I have tried everything I can think of.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. Yes, I know it's old but it's worked fine for me all these years.

Any help to resolve this annoying problem will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: my PC cannot find my Netgear DG834PN router in the list of wireless networks

@V8lover wrote:

So I guess the problem is with a setting on the PC, but I have tried everything I can think of.

It's hard to offer any suggestions, we don't know what you'd thought of already.

It sounds like you are saying the wifi dongle doesn't see the network at all???  What channel is your wifi using?

@V8lover wrote:

I'm running Windows XP SP3. Yes, I know it's old but it's worked fine for me all these years.

You use a 2005 router and a 2008 OS service pack.  You definitely like your vintage tech.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11

Re: my PC cannot find my Netgear DG834PN router in the list of wireless networks

@StephenB wrote:
You use a 2005 router and a 2008 OS service pack.  You definitely like your vintage tech.

Is that called living dangerously?

With XP no longer supported or security patched, the advice generally is that no machine running XP should be allowed anywhere near the Internet.

Message 3 of 11
V8lover
Aspirant

What I've tried:

Reloading the WiFi dongle software

Tried different dongles

Rebooting the router

Restoring router factory settings

Checking wireless network settings

I don't see the point of unnecessary O/S upgrades just to line Microsoft's coffers any more than I need the latest car.

Message 4 of 11
V8lover
Aspirant

Message 5 of 11
V8lover
Aspirant

Living dangerously?

You'd better get in touch with the NHS then. They use XP.

Message 6 of 11
V8lover
Aspirant

My WiFi dongle sees other networks, but not mine.

I use channel 12, but I can't see the relevance of that since my tablet and laptop both connect OK to both the network and the internet.

Message 7 of 11

The trouble is that an old operating system may not recognise newer hardware. And you may have been infected by something that kills the wifi.

What about StephenB's questions?

It sounds like you are saying the wifi dongle doesn't see the network at all??? What channel is your wifi using?

You don't explicitly say that, but we're all assuming that you are using wifi to connect the desktop to the Internet.

How about using a different USB port for the wifi dongle?

Windows, especially old versions, can get terribly confused with USB ports and the drivers that go with each port. It installs the drivers on a per port basis.

One thing that some people find helps is to go into Device Manager, get it to View > Show Hidden Devices and then Uninstall anything associated with the wifi dongle. Check Network Adapters and USB controllers.

Message 8 of 11

@V8lover wrote:

Living dangerously?

You'd better get in touch with the NHS then. They use XP.

The NHS is, of course, famous for being the worst UK body going when it comes to technology.

There are plenty of XP devices out there, but many are not connected to the Internet. For example, you will find XP terminals in a lot of pubs.

Message 9 of 11
V8lover
Aspirant

"I can access my router and the Internet using my tablet and my laptop but not my desktop PC. so I know the router is working OK. I know my wi-fi dongle is working OK because the wireless network list shows other networks."

I thought the above, from my original post, explained that I could neither connect to my wireless router nor the internet wirelessly from my PC. And also in my reply "My WiFi dongle sees other networks, but not mine." o Stevenb.

I not only tried different USB ports, but tried three different wireless dongles.

HOWEVER, I tried your suggestion and went to Device Manager > Network Adapters (not View > Show Hidden Devices) and deleted the Netgear WG111v3 Wireless-G USB adapter. I then re-booted and everything is fine now and going super fast (nothing wrong with XP at all!). I just hope it still works tommorow. If not, I know what to do.

Thank you for your help in resolving this issue. Smiley Happy

Such a simple answer to a problem that has been bugging me for days.

Message 10 of 11

@V8lover wrote:
Such a simple answer to a problem that has been bugging me for days.

Glad to know that my guess worked. Simple answers sometimes hit the target. 

As you say, if it happens again, you know where to look. Maybe it will be minutes rather than days.

It just shows how flaky USB devices can be.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7