Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear 7550 att dsl modem-ethernet ports killed by lightning

attsucks
Aspirant

netgear 7550 att dsl modem-ethernet ports killed by lightning

Ethernet ports are dead, but wifi still works.  This is my 3rd modem that this has happened to.  Each one costs me $100 from ATT.!  Anyone got any ideas on how to fix my current modem and/or prevent this from continuing to happen?  This is getting expensive not to mention the hassle of ordering, reinstalling, etc. I have a shop  quite a way from the modem location that I have run a cat6 cable to, wifi won't reach it. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: netgear 7550 att dsl modem-ethernet ports killed by lightning

Have you put a decent quality surge protector and ups on your powerline for it? If lightening/storms are causing that many issues, I'd have everything expensive on a good surge protector. (cheap ones suck and even can go bad after a few years)

https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/a35339212/check-surge-protectors-buying-guide/

Message 2 of 5
attsucks
Aspirant

Thanks, plemans.  Yes I got a new surge protector after my previous modem was killed.  The surge must be coming in through the phone line.

Message 3 of 5

@attsucks wrote:

The surge must be coming in through the phone line.

I had that some years ago. Direct hit on the phone line. Destroyed a computer, fax machine and printer.

This was back in the days of dial up, when the modem was in the PC. Talk about fried chips.

Message 4 of 5
attsucks
Aspirant

Yep, first lightning strike killed modem and network adapter in computer.  Fixed computer, got a ups with built in surge protector for computer, so second lightning strike only killed modem & $1000 tv that was unfortunately connected to modem by ethernet cable.  Connected new tv to modem via wifi so only thing killed by 3rd lightning strike was the modem.  Good new though, newest modem was still under warranty so no charge for 4th modem.  WooHoo!!! 😀😀

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7