Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk dsl modem/router blocking bluray media player

Guy_Champ
Aspirant

nighthawk dsl modem/router blocking bluray media player

initial firmware ok, auto update disabled dsl port. only firmware1.0.1.20 or earlier enables dsl.really annoyed netgear support never noticed that, had to figure out myself.

in any case,as a router the internal DHCP server does not give an address to sony bluray/ network media player, and blocks the manually addressed device from internet connection via ethernet. no logs indicate what or why. turned off SIP ALG in case it was that, allowed the MAC specifically, but device never shows as connected to router.  its connected through a netgear 5 port Gb ethernet switch, so should be pretty much straight ethernet, but no connection ever shows.Any ideas/ suggestions please?(fairly experienced network engineer here, running out of ideas)

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Guy_Champ
Aspirant

Re: nighthawk dsl modem/router blocking bluray media player

Not too impressed with netgear. firnware on rouyter borked by upgrade, and hardware on network blocked from router by switch.netgear fs605 fast ethernet 5 port switch seems incompatible with nighthawk D7800. dropped ythe switch inb favour of a linksys 5 port repeater hub, and everything suddenly worked like it should! I think the auto-uplink feature of the fs605 is not working with the D7800, why I cant say yet.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@Guy_Champ wrote:

initial firmware ok, auto update disabled dsl port. only firmware1.0.1.20 or earlier enables dsl.really annoyed netgear support never noticed that, had to figure out myself.

There was an issue with one firmware release for the D7800.

Solved: D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24 - NETGEAR Communities

There have been at least five since then.

If the issue persisted we would hear about it here.

Actually, not here. You have posted in the Nighthawk WiFi Routers section. The D7800 is a modem/router and issues belong in that section:

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

I suspect some basic configuration issues at your end that are causing the problems you cite.

If you are not using the D7800 as a modem, what modem are you using?

@Guy_Champ wrote:
in any case,as a router the internal DHCP server does not give an address to sony bluray/ network media player...

Is this wired or wifi?

But I'd go back to square one. Tell us what all the hardware is on your network. Maybe someone can figure out what is happening.

Message 2 of 4
Guy_Champ
Aspirant

Not too impressed with netgear. firnware on rouyter borked by upgrade, and hardware on network blocked from router by switch.netgear fs605 fast ethernet 5 port switch seems incompatible with nighthawk D7800. dropped ythe switch inb favour of a linksys 5 port repeater hub, and everything suddenly worked like it should! I think the auto-uplink feature of the fs605 is not working with the D7800, why I cant say yet.

Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> Model: D7800 [...]

> [...] its connected through a netgear 5 port Gb ethernet switch, [...]

What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly?  When dealing with
devices which have multiple Ethernet ports, it's helpful to specify
which port on each device is connected to which port on the other
device.

> [...] netgear fs605 fast ethernet 5 port switch seems incompatible
> with nighthawk D7800. [...]

Which hardware version of FS605?  Plain/[v1], "v2", "v3", ...?

I wouldn't say "incompatible", but "fast Ethernet" means 100MHz,
which is slower than gigabit (1000MHz) Ethernet, making it a suboptimal
choice, at best, for use with a D7800.

> [...] a linksys 5 port repeater hub [...]

As usual, an actual model number would be more helpful than a vague
and/or imprecise/inaccurate description.  ("hub" is a technical term,
different from "switch".  Hubs are very difficult to find nowadays.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7