Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

remotely access the D6400 router using Genie

lara_simon
Aspirant

remotely access the D6400 router using Genie

Hi - I have just purchased a D6400 router on the basis that I will be able to access it remotely using the Genie app.

The various Netgear support pages suggest this is possible and that i should be able to log in to the router using the "Remote Login" option.

For example the D6400 is listed in this article:

http://kb.netgear.com/26845/How-do-I-register-my-NETGEAR-router-with-my-remote-access-genie-account-...

Question:  Does the D6400 in fact support this feature?

thanks

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
lara_simon
Aspirant

Re: remotely access the D6400 router using Genie

Thanks

It is the Android genie (I think the article mistakenly refernces iOS).

I have the remote access sorted out now.

The key was updating the firmware on the router (which I had already done when first installing it earlier in the day ... maybe something went wrong).

This is referenced in the following article:

http://kb.netgear.com/000036543/What-do-I-need-to-use-the-remote-access-feature-on-the-genie-app

So, the steps were update firmware, create remote access account, register device using the Android genie app, then remote access seems to work.

So, all sorted.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

Which genie do you have in mind? There are at least three different genies, the standard browser interface, a standalone Windows utility and Android and iOS apps.

The first two are straightforward and work just fine with the D6400.

The Android app will also let you do some things on the D6400.

You have to remember that the login details that the app asks for are not the same as the wifi access details, different usernames and passwords. The app wasnts the same details as you fed into the browser and desktop apps. And you can only get into the app when your device is connected to the wifi. If you aren't connected top the wifi, the Android app tells you to connect.

I don't do iOS, so I have no idea how well that works.

The page you link to looks complicated, but that may be the way they do things in iOS.

Message 2 of 4
lara_simon
Aspirant

Thanks

It is the Android genie (I think the article mistakenly refernces iOS).

I have the remote access sorted out now.

The key was updating the firmware on the router (which I had already done when first installing it earlier in the day ... maybe something went wrong).

This is referenced in the following article:

http://kb.netgear.com/000036543/What-do-I-need-to-use-the-remote-access-feature-on-the-genie-app

So, the steps were update firmware, create remote access account, register device using the Android genie app, then remote access seems to work.

So, all sorted.

Message 3 of 4

@lara_simon wrote:

(I think the article mistakenly refernces iOS).

Probably not. There is an iOS app and the rigmarole that you describe is not needed for the Android app.

Glad it worked out.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7