Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

replacement of a netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4

phg
Aspirant
Aspirant

replacement of a netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4

Good day,

I have a netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4 since 10 years.

I use it now with PC Mac Os, portable Dell with window7 pro, one tablette samsung Galaxie note 8.0 gt n5120, one or two phone samsung galaxy s3 gt19300.

I think I have to replace my netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4 by a more powerfull one.

Wich model is suitable to replace it?

Thanks.

Phil

Message 1 of 5

Re: replacement of a netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4

@phg wrote:
I think I have to replace my netgear 54Mbps wireless ADSL2+ modem DG834G v4 by a more powerfull one.

What do you want the new modem to do that you cannot do now?

Netgear makes many ADSL2+ modems.

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Take your pick.

Message 2 of 5
phg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Michaelkenward,

We have at home 1 PC Mac Os, a portable Dell Windows7pro, 2 Samsung Galaxy S3, 1 tablet Galaxy S8 note.

The house is isolated surrounded with forest and quite large 20mx10m , with 1 floor.

Usualy we are 2 peoples at home. Once a month children comes with tablet and portable.

During summer time we operate our house as a bed and breakfeast home with 3 double bed rooms and guests are frequently connected...

Of course all these equipements are not working all together but at present for example it's difficult to run my portable Dell, the Mac on the 1rst floor, 1 tablet and 1 other portableon the ground floor together.

These are the reasons for I think I have to change my Netgear DG834 v4 for more powerfull and more security when our guests are at home.

Looking forward for your advices.

Kind regards and happy Xmas.

Phg

Message 3 of 5

Take your pick from the models at the end of the link I posted earlier. The choice of ADSL2+ modems is bewildering! Check those that fit into your budget.

Anything you buy now will have 5G wifi, but that doesn't have the range of 2.4GHz. And not all devices use 5G. But all modems also come with 2.4GHz.

One thing I would do is to see if my Internet supplier (ISP) has a list of recommended modems or things that you should look for. That isn't definitive but can be a good guide. If it has a user forum, see if people have any suggestions. Some ISPs have quirky networks.

And if there is any chance that they will upgrade your sevice to VDSL, pick a modem that does that as well as ADSL2+. My D6400 does that. When I switched from ADSL2+ to VDSL it was seamless.

If you have any fixed hardware about the house – smart TVs, desktops PCs or the like – then Powerline plugs are a hood way of adding them to the network without the hassles of wifi. You can even get Powerline stuff that will extend your wifi network.

Message 4 of 5
phg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

First I wish you a happy new year 2017. All my best greetings.

In France, ISP, doesn't provide modem/router. They rent what they call "live box" with only Internet access, or  triple play offer or more now. But in country side a lot of villages are not able to receive triple play or more when the house is far from the NRA or unbundled telephone line . That's my case!

I receive ADSL 11,85 MBps

The live box that Orange (historic ISP ex France Telecom) provides is made by SAGECOM is 2.4GHz by default.

With this Livebox I get (with a Wi-Fi analyser) at 2 m far from that stuff on ground floor on a elevated position: -52dBm/-62dBm; at 10m: -68 to -74dBm; at 20m:-80 to -82 dBm; on first floor:-64 to -68 dBm in the room above the one where the box is located, at 5m in an first room on  right side: - 78 to -86 dBm and on left side -80 to -88 dBm on channel 11.

I have not measured what goes outside in a building 20m far from the main house where I forecast to open 2 bedrooms more that I have to provide with Wi Fi (we run a bed & breakfast with 3 room at present.

I want to have a secured access for my guest with Wi Fi and don't know if D6400 (I don't like its design) can do this.

I keep your tips on Power line plug to extend the network. In this case may be I can keep my old DG 834G V4?

Looking forward hearing from you,

Best regards

Philippe GENIER

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7