Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

support for Circle parental controls on D7800 ac2600 nighthawk and Orbi in AP mode

metime
Star

support for Circle parental controls on D7800 ac2600 nighthawk and Orbi in AP mode

So I have the Orbi RBR50 along with 3 satelites, this is conected to my Nighthawk D7800 AC2600 Router, as per Netgears advice, Orbi should be set in AP mode, problem is this means Circle Built in to Orbi is disabled in this mode. So I was hoping to use Circle in my Router instead, but it doesnt seem to be supported. so I currently have had to keep both my D7800 and RBR50 in router mode and constantly get flaky connection and internet constantly dropping on my devices, I am assuming this is down to the configuration I am forced to use if I want Circle (which I do as is great for the kids monitoring|) anyone got any ideas how I can have Circle and Orbi in an AP mode with out throwing my Nighthawk in the bin? 

I have also put my Nighthawk in Modem mode but this disables all ports apart from one, and I am using those ports for a few hardwired controllers for lights, heating, alarm etc.. so cant do that config either.

thanks

Message 1 of 4

Re: support for Circle parental controls on D7800 ac2600 nighthawk and Orbi in AP mode

@metime wrote:

I have also put my Nighthawk in Modem mode but this disables all ports apart from one, and I am using those ports for a few hardwired controllers for lights, heating, alarm etc.. so cant do that config either.

AP mode, almost by definition, breaks things like Circle.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The easiest way to deal with the "dead ports" would be to buy a simple switch and use that to connect things to the Orbi router.

You can get one for <£$€20:

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop/Wallmount Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Acc...

There are other brands, and smaller switches.

I gave up on using a modem/router in modem mode and bought a basic DM200 modem. I did this partly because using a modem/router in modem only mode caused problems. After a power cut, the modem/router took so long to boot and get a connection to the Internet that the router tried to get there first. It couldn't find an Internet connection and the whole network died.Not good when you are not around to fix it.

The D7800 may not have that problem, and you may never have power cuts, but I thought I'd throw it in to add to the things you could worry about.

Message 2 of 4
metime
Star

Re: support for Circle parental controls on D7800 ac2600 nighthawk and Orbi in AP mode

Yeah thanks for that, I have done exactly as you suggested and ordered a cheap 4 port hub (arriving today) was just hoping there may be a work around I handnt thought about. If Netgear added Circle to my Nighthawk router, that would fix everything. Not sure why they don’t.
Message 3 of 4

@metime wrote:
If Netgear added Circle to my Nighthawk router, that would fix everything. Not sure why they don’t.

If you mean the D7800, Netgear seems to treat modem routers as second class devices. They rarely get the attention that goes into routers. That's another reason for preferring the two-box option.

Features like Circle also need firmware tweaks that Netgear reserves for some devices. Oddly, the R7800, probably built around the same technology as the D7800, does have Circle and other add-ons.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7