2.4 GHz not showing up/cant connect. 5GHz just fine. Model WNDR4300

Retired_Member
Not applicable

2.4 GHz not showing up/cant connect. 5GHz just fine. Model WNDR4300

2.4 network will literally fall off the map, cant even find to try to connect to. 5g is just fine. It seems like this happens everyday. Cox has been out to our house and set up a new line and the issue hasnt resolved. Rebooting the router works for a time but the next day we're back to square 1. 

Logged into routerlogin.net and tried installing previous firmware versions and it will upload to about 65% and then say "routerlogin.net refused to connect"

Current firmware version is V1.0.2.104 and no updates available

Please help me, I've been fighting this for weeks.

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: 2.4 GHz not showing up/cant connect. 5GHz just fine. Model WNDR4300

> [...] Model WNDR4300

Not "WNDR4300v2"?  Look at the product label.  Connected to what,
exactly?

> [...] Cox has been out to our house and set up a new line and the
> issue hasnt resolved. [...]

I wouldn't expect your ISP to solve a wireless-network problem with
your Netgear router.

> Logged into routerlogin.net and tried installing previous firmware
> versions [...]

"tried" how, exactly?  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your
(actual) model number, and look for Downloads.  (For older versions,
under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View Previous
Versions".)  Find the kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the
"Release Notes" file for instructions.

> Current firmware version is V1.0.2.104 and no updates available

"Latest" and "best" are spelled differently for a reason.

General advice:

Buy another apostrophe or two.  "cant" is a word, different from
"can't".

> 2.4 network will literally fall off the map, [...]

Which "the map" is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ImRMJX68s

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wow, you are rude as hell. If you're going to sit behind your keyboard and knit pick the life out of the words and the lack of apostrophes you can get lost, your attitude is pathetic.

You can afford yourself some manners and courtesy.

Acting tough behind a keyboard is cowardly, I asked for help and you saw an opportunity to be a rude.

You dont deserve it, but to answer your questions:

1) No its not version 2 of the model.

2) The coaxial lines the previous owners had set up was absurd and the ISP thought that may have been related to the connectivity issues we are experiencing. Obviously not the case.

3) I followed those exact instructions, and received the error message I quoted in the original post, maybe if you missed that while you were busy being an ass.

4) I simply stated the latest firmware was installed to the router, and obviously its NOT the best. Again, you're a douchebag. The version I attempted to install was V1.0.2.90 and received the formerly mentioned error message.

5) I've never encountered another individual in my life who got so bent out of shape over apostrophes, maybe you should buy yourself a life, because if this is all you do with it- that's pretty sad.

6) "Fall of the map" is a figure of speech that means "disappear", that being said the 2.4ghz wifi was not an option to connect to when searching for networks to connect to. Have I mentioned you're the biggest douchebag on the planet? 

Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

> 3) I followed those exact instructions, [...]

Sending which file(s), exactly?

> [...] tried installing previous firmware versions [...]

Which?

> [...] and received the error message I quoted in the original post,
> [...]

"the original post" did not describe how you did anything.

If a conventional firmware load (done properly) fails repeatedly,
then there's a more drastic alternative:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

> 6) "Fall of the map" is a figure of speech [...]

Not helpful in a technical problem description, especially in a field
where a "network map" is a real thing.  So, not "literally", then.

> [...] knit pick the life out of the words [...]

That's "nit-pick".  And did it interfere with the technical content,
or are you just easily disturbed?

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The .img file was downloaded but repeatedly failed to upload. I followed the release notes/instructions very closely.

Antinode,  you really didn't have to be so rude in your initial reply, was it really worth it? Probably not. Your responses in the thread you linked weren't so demeaning. I'm a first time poster to this community, and that's what I get for reaching out for help.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just tried uploading a different firmware version, this time it worked. I didn't do anything different.

Thanks for nothing antinode, you can go back to being a miserable person on a different thread. 

Message 6 of 9
antinode
Guru

> The .img file was downloaded but repeatedly failed to upload. [...]

_Which_ "The .img file"?

> I just tried uploading a different firmware version, this time it
> worked. [...]

The non-psychics in your audience don't know which version that was,
either.

> Thanks [...]

You're welcome.  I'm sure that any future readers who might stumble
across this thread will gain much from the detailed descriptions of your
problem and its solution.

Message 7 of 9

@Retired_Member wrote:

Wow, you are rude as hell. If you're going to sit behind your keyboard and knit pick the life out of the words and the lack of apostrophes you can get lost, your attitude is pathetic.

Sorry about that. Some people have a hard time reading the rules for this place:

NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

Unlike some devices, the WNDR4300 is not famous for firmware issues, so I would not expect that to be the issue. Has the older version made any difference?

Does the 2.4 GHz LED on the front show? Is this all wifi clients that can't see it?

Any chance that there are  neighbours squatting on the same wifi channels?

I assume that the wifi clients involved behave just fine when they are out and about.

I see no mention of any "factory reset" in there, but I may have missed it among the "banter".

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

I very much doubt if it has anything to do with the issue, but it might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

You can never have too much information.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 9
oaknuts
Tutor

I've been having the same issue right after I upgraded the firmware to the latest one of V1.0.2.104. It works fine for a while and then the 2.4Ghz SSID disappears and you can't connect to it, looks like no internet, but the 5Ghnz is still up and working fine. I also have the model WNDR4300 (not v2).

I tried troubleshooting, reloading firmware and all the things that have nothing to do with the fact that the code is buggy in this release for 2.4Ghz. Fair enough, many people have devices supporting 5Ghz and moved away from the "old 2.4" as fast as they could, so stands to reason the developers get lazy when working on code for a 2.4Ghz radio.

Here's what I can contribute to isolating this problem. I've been watching who in my houses uses the Wifi and when, and invariably when the 2.4Ghz disappears it seems it's when the kids are home. Doesn't happen any other time. I investigated further and only 1 brat has an Apple device (iPhone) - everyone else uses either a Microsoft Windows laptop or an Android phone or chromebook. I inquired further withthe iPhone brat and discovered that the 2.4Ghz stops working on the router right around the time this one has used Facetime on the iPhone. A reboot of the WNDR4300 fixes it but if the person uses Facetime again on the iPhone then 2.4Ghz disappears and stops working (5Ghz stays fine for everyone else).

So, I don't know what it is about the V1.0.2.104 firmware but the 2.4Ghz radio on this firmware will crap out if someone use Facetime.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements