× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 Netgear router setup troubles, please help.

PeytonBirch
Follower

2 Netgear router setup troubles, please help.

Firstly, I'm very tech savvy and promise I have researched this to the death. Someone please help me, from precise technical details to broad advice, all welcomed.

The setup, I have 2 Netgear routers. The main one (DGND4000) connected to the ADSL2+ internet, it's dual band so I have 'SSID' and 'SSID'-5G for 2Ghz and 5Ghz. Using WPA2-PSK [AES] as the protocol

This router is connected to the second router (CG3100) via cat5, from LAN port to LAN port.

The second router is set to static 192.168.0.2 with NAT and DHCP off, the main router does the DHCP from 192.168.0.4 to .350. (My computer is set to static at 192.168.0.3 for various reasons but this isn't set in stone).

The second router is single band, so I have the identical wireless settings as the 2Ghz on the main router, including identical SSIDs and password. I have tried with different SSIDs but would prefer to have them the same to enabled automatic switching between.

The issue, initially the setup works fine, the speed is almost identical when attached to either routers. However this quickly deteriorates and the second router becomes unusably slow. A reboot seems to fix this issue however that would mean rebooting the second router multiple times a day.

Things I've tried,

• made sure all wireless broadcasts are on separate channels, and inspected other close by wifi for possible clashes.

• Different SSIDs which works fine but is undesirable.

• all 3 wifi broadcasts on the same SSID (no '-5G' suffix)

• endless amount of setting manipulations, RIP directions/versions, NAT on/off (bridge mode) etc etc

Another thing to note, there is a switch attached to the second router with 3-4 devices connected via cable that work fine, at expected speeds all of the time. The issue seems to be solidly based around wireless.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7