× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd Wifi Access?

Sezro626
Guide

2nd Wifi Access?

I recently got a new modem. I previously had access to 2 Wifis a 2.5 and 5.0. Now I don't know how to access my 2nd wifi.

One of my wifi just show a lot of letters and numbers and I'm not sure how to access it.

Does anyone know how I can find it in the setup?

Model: WNR1000v2|Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

It could be yours. But it isn't 5ghz if you have the wnr1000.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I think your old modem was a modem/router combo device and was the one broadcasting dual band.

Reason I say that is the WNR1000v2 that you listed is a single band n150 device. It isn't dual band.

so unless you have a different router, you're not going to see dual band. 

What modem did they replace it with?

Message 2 of 8
Sezro626
Guide

My Previous modem was a Model TG1682G Arris

My New Modem is Motorola MB7420 16x4 686mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

My router is putting out 2 signals because there is one wifi available that has a long series of numbers and letters when I set up my modem and router. I don't know how to set it up on the Netgear Smart Wizard.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Sezro626 wrote:

My Previous modem was a Model TG1682G Arris----which is a dual band modem/router combo device. 

My New Modem is Motorola MB7420 16x4 686mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem----which is a modem only device. no routing or wireless capability

My router is putting out 2 signals because there is one wifi available that has a long series of numbers and letters when I set up my modem and router. I don't know how to set it up on the Netgear Smart Wizard.

Your wnr1000 is a single band n150 device. not sure where the other band is or whats broadcasting it but its only a single band device. Should you want to use 5ghz, you'd need to upgrade to a better router. 

Message 4 of 8
Sezro626
Guide

@plemanson my first post I posted a screenshot of the available Wifis. I'm not sure how to embed the image. That long wifi with the numbers and letters appeared when I was setting up my internet. I thought that was supposed to be my 2nd wifi. Is that something that came with my internet? That's what's confusing to me. Even setting it up I kept reading the IP should start with 192. but my current wifi uses 172 which is how I got into the Setup wizard.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're going MB7420------>wnr1000

Then you're only going to have a single band setup. Because the MB7420 doesn't have wifi or any routing functions and the wnr1000 is single band. Maybe its someone elses. But its not a 5ghz network because none of your devices support broadcasting 5ghz. 

Message 6 of 8
Sezro626
Guide

@plemans wrote:

If you're going MB7420------>wnr1000

Then you're only going to have a single band setup. Because the MB7420 doesn't have wifi or any routing functions and the wnr1000 is single band. Maybe its someone elses. But its not a 5ghz network because none of your devices support broadcasting 5ghz. 

OK. I'm pretty sure the other wifi is mine also. If I turn off my router it dissapears with the one I set up also. But thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

It could be yours. But it isn't 5ghz if you have the wnr1000.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7