Highlighted
Aspirant

3700 V1: No wireless AND no DHCP

This morning I suddenly lost all wireless service on this router. Even after power-cycling, the LEDs for both 2.4 and 5.0 do not light up. I also pressed the "start wireless" button on the right side (if router is horizontal) but that doesn't start the router.

I also discovered that I lost DHCP service. Are wireless and DHCP somehow connected in this design?

Is there anything I can do to revive this router, or am I looking at a new router? If the latter, I sort of hate to ask this question, but are there good alternatives available?

To make this a bit more exciting, tomorrow I'm having surgery and I'll be on crutches for about 3-4 weeks. That means I'll have plenty of time for research :rolleyes:
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: 3700 V1: No wireless AND no DHCP

sounds like dead router .

reset the router and if you have spare power supply
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
sounds like dead router .

reset the router and if you have spare power supply

The router is not dead. It does power up AND the hub part of the router works fine, including the front LEDs for active ports. It just the radios that don't work :mad: AND the DHCP functionality. :mad: :mad:
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Poor power supply can cause the wireless
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Poor power supply can cause the wireless

Even with a different 12V power supply, the router still does not work.

So I ended up buying a 4500 router. But I made the mistake of buying it from Frys Electronics. They sold me a known defective unit.

When I called Netgear to get support, the helpful agent asked me for the s/n. But that had been registered by someone else whose zip code was near mine, and this guy had opened up a trouble ticket for the same problems I had.

Do you think that there was any indication that this was a returned unit? No, it was shrink-wrapped like it was new. I did manage to get a refund, but the store isn't crediting my credit card for three days, in effect a forced loan from me to them.

It's interesting that I could see in the customer service area were three other Netgear products, more than any other brand.

This store has the business ethics of a banana slug. Friends don't let friends shop at Frys.

You have been warned.

So I ended up ordering the same router from NewEgg, which has excellent customer service. Don't take my word for it, just read the user feedbacks. Frys of course doesn't allow user feedback on their website. Instead a large banner outside their store says that they will match any Internet price. Entirely different business model.

x509
Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Any body can shrink wrap store so if unit is registered then likely someone returned and been return within few days they shrink wrap at store to sell back again.

Newegg and bunch other online sells refurb unit which has no serial so if you receive refurb with no serial than you will NOT going to have one year warranty so I would return the unit and but retail "new" one.

good luck
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 13
Highlighted
Tutor

I agree with jmizoguchi. The person that returned the device might not have told Frys that they had a problem with it. They may have simply said that it was not what they wanted or expected. In that case it would be normal for Frys to repackage and sell it. So while there is a possibility that Frys is to blame, there is also an equal possibility that the person that returned the device is to blame.
Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Luminary

The moment that Fry's accepted the return, it became their responsibility regardless of what the customer previously said or did with the item, to indicate the item was a return. No matter how much shrink wrap they use, the item is an open box. Unless something has changed since the last time I went into a Fry's retail store, and admittedly that was a couple of years ago, a open box item was marked with a distinctive label and the price was marked down.

x509, I hope your surgery went well.

Take care.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Onlooker

I thought it was against the law to sell as New a returned item. At least in California. I will take your advise and not shop at Fry's. Thank you.
Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I don't know if that goes to same to test of stages but should not make as new when repackaged for be sold again by the store
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

wekebu wrote:
I thought it was against the law to sell as New a returned item. At least in California. I will take your advise and not shop at Fry's. Thank you.

This is not the first time that I have bought something "new" that was actually a return. Once I bought a high-end sound card for my kids' system, only the card was a cheapo network card. When I took everything back to Frys they refused to believe me. I had to complain to several levels of management before I got a replacement, which is all that I was asking for, not a refund.

Over the past five years, at least, I have shifted ALL my purchases to NewEgg. The 4500 router I got from NewEgg worked like a charm, and that's what I'm using now.
Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Any body can shrink wrap store so if unit is registered then likely someone returned and been return within few days they shrink wrap at store to sell back again.

Newegg and bunch other online sells refurb unit which has no serial so if you receive refurb with no serial than you will NOT going to have one year warranty so I would return the unit and but retail "new" one.

good luck

When NewEgg sells a refurb, they call it "open box." And if you read the user comments on such products, people are generally quite satisfied that everything works (!!) and that there are no missing parts or accessories.

What a contrast from Frys. Don't forget that Frys does not have user comments on their website.
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
The moment that Fry's accepted the return, it became their responsibility regardless of what the customer previously said or did with the item, to indicate the item was a return. No matter how much shrink wrap they use, the item is an open box. Unless something has changed since the last time I went into a Fry's retail store, and admittedly that was a couple of years ago, a open box item was marked with a distinctive label and the price was marked down.

I agree with your first sentences and like you, I thought that Frys still labeled open box items. I guess I had to learn the hard way.

x509, I hope your surgery went well.

It did.

Take care.[/QUOTE]
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements