MrVideo
Aspirant

3700v4 NAT failure on power-up

Firmware: V1.0.1.52

I originally thought that the issue was a result of the router getting power cycle hits when the APC UPS box was failing. I was away when the UPS box decided to fail. A friend got the power cords moved to another UPS box.

Long story short, after the power being restored I could get into my server, but nothing was getting out. Turns out the NAT was not working. I was able to get into the router remotely, via the server and look at the router's settings. All was well. So, out of desperation, I did a reboot.

All was well after that.

Well, tonight I set up another UPS box, as the one that stuff was plugged into needs the batteries replaced. After moving the power cords over, the same issue occurred, i.e. stuff could get in, but no NAT for going out. Again, I did a reboot and all is well.

I checked for new firmware and the router said, nothing new.

Is there a bug in the firmware? Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

BTW, it is a refurbished unit (from NewEgg), so the S/N has been covered up.

Thanks in advance for any tips regarding this issue.

A side note: this issue did not happen after powering up for the first time. Maybe I need to use the power button before moving the power cords. I'll try that when I add and change batteries in a couple of UPS boxes.
Message 1 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 3700v4 NAT failure on power-up

I suggest that you take a note of all router settings, take screen grabs or save the web pages, then factory reset the router, and manually reconfigure the settings. Only use a saved settings backup if it was created before the first UPS issue.
MrVideo
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to try something to test out a theory. I read a posting after I did mine and it had mentioned to turn on the router after the modem has come up. When I initially installed the router, the modem was up and running, as I was swapping out a borrowed router with this one.

I'm wondering if the modem, having come up before the modem, detects an issue with the internet connection and stops all outgoing traffic.

If I factory reset the router and reboot it, it will be done while the modem is up and running.

I will be moving the rack's power cord that the modem/router are connected to, to another UPS box that I will be bringing up. I normally have three UPS boxes running my gear and right now it is only one.

I will be shutting down the router before I disconnect the power cord and will wait to bring up the router after the modem has locked onto the signal. At that time I will power up the router and see what happens. If after that it still has the same issue. I will do as you suggest and see what happens.
Message 3 of 5
jlewter
Guide

Seeing how you said the first time it happened you were able to remotely log in to fix the issue then I don't think it is a modem problem. The device had a valid IP for you to be able to do that.

Are the devices that are not working connected directly, or is there a switch between (a managed one at that)?..

And yea, I would flush the Config and start over again too, if firmware upgrades have been done by you and the device hasn't been reset then there could be some odd settings in there that shouldn't be.

When this happens, is there any way for you to check the ip config of a device on the lan? Or would it be possible to check the logs on one of those devices and see if it shows a IP change?.

Also, does the Router keep the same IP through reboots, and do the other devices use fixed IPs on the network.
Message 4 of 5
MrVideo
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
Seeing how you said the first time it happened you were able to remotely log in to fix the issue then I don't think it is a modem problem. The device had a valid IP for you to be able to do that.

The cable modem is set up in bridge mode, which I was not happy about. So, the IP address that is assigned to me, which is a business static IP account, is entered into the router. I do not believe it is a modem problem either. I think that it is a timing issue between the modem and the router.

Are the devices that are not working connected directly, or is there a switch between (a managed one at that)?..

The devices that are on the LAN are all connected to a Netgear 16 port switch. One port of the switch is connected to the router. None of the devices on the LAN were not working. I ran snoop on the Solaris server and determined that it was trying to send out packets, but none were getting thru to the outside.

And yea, I would flush the Config and start over again too, if firmware upgrades have been done by you and the device hasn't been reset then there could be some odd settings in there that shouldn't be.

The router was purchased refurbished and already had the latest firmware. It was completely reset. As mentioned above, I want to test a theory first, before resetting the modem.

When this happens, is there any way for you to check the ip config of a device on the lan? Or would it be possible to check the logs on one of those devices and see if it shows a IP change?.

Other than the laptop, all of the other computers on the LAN are assigned static IPs. No computer had an IP change. If there would have been an IP change on the server, I never would have been able to get into it, as the port forwarding of the router is to a specific IP address.

Also, does the Router keep the same IP through reboots, and do the other devices use fixed IPs on the network.

Yes, the router remembers the IP addresses that I placed into the configuration. As mentioned, the computers on the LAN have static IPs. Only the laptop and the phone get assigned IP addresses by the router.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements