Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Aspirant

3800 to FIOS by ethernet for USB sharing?

Hello,
I have Verizon FIOS with the Actiontec modem. I would like to use a power line adapter to connect my WNDR3800 to it in my office (equivalent of running ethernet between them). I would then like to connect an external hard drive by USB to the 3800 so I can access content and take advantage of ReadyShare. Is this possible?
The materials I find online are either about using the 3800 as a wireless Access Point or to use the 3800 as the primary router by shutting the wireless off on the FIOS router. I am looking to do neither. Yes, I want the 3800 to repeat the wireless signal, but I want it connected to the modem by ethernet and I still want all the bells and whistles of the Netgear router. Doesn't using it as an Access Point make it dumb so I can't use the services?
Any advice on how to take advantage of the USB sharing capabilities of the WNDR3800 while working with the restrictions of Verizon FIOS would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
RJ
Message 1 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 3800 to FIOS by ethernet for USB sharing?

Given your description of what you want to do, there is no advantage to running two routers in series, and typically this can leads to issues/confusion, especially where remote access might be required.

Your idea of using Powerline products to make the connection between devices is fine, I can’t see any major issues with that.

If you configure the 3800 as an Access Point most of the non-routing features remain available, you should still be able to access the USB devices and be able to set wireless as required.

By the way, turning off wireless at the FIOS router does not stop it operating as a router, you will have simply disabled its wireless access point. You might actually find it advantageous to run both the FIOS and the 3800 with WiFi enabled to give you better coverage.

So, basically, my advice is set up the 3800 as an Access Point. Nothing is lost in trying that setup since it’s very easy to revert to a router configuration.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I will attempt to use the Netgear router as an Access Point to see if it still allows me to take advantage of all the ReadyShare features with a connected external hard drive. I was concerned because the materials I found online stated that using the Netgear as an Access Point makes it "dumb". So I thought nothing would work other than extending the wireless signal.
And can I set up Access Point through ethernet instead of wireless? This is because my Fios modem is in the living room, central to the house. It is perfect for using devices. I want to put the Netgear and hard drive in my office in the basement, thus the desire to use the power line. But I wasn't sure if Access Point only worked wirelessly.
Message 3 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’ve never used powerline products personally since I have no problems running Ethernet cables to where I need them, but I know people who do use them and can’t see a problem with your planned use. It is normal to configure an access point to use a wired connection back to the router, that’s what I do. As for making the 3800 ‘dumb’, well that depends on what you are comparing to. If you use it as an access point then all routing functionality is redundant, but you have a router already. If the router has the option for a guest network with isolation from the LAN, then configuring as an access point will typically remove the option for isolation. I run an R7000 as an Access Point and in that configuration it has never failed me, in my opinion there is often something to be gained (often stability) by separating functionality in this way. I don’t miss the routing capability of the R7000 since that is well cared for by my wired router (a Draytek 2950).
Highlighted
Aspirant

I need some help! I can't get anything to work.
Situation: Verizon FIOS modem in living room providing wireless signal to entire house. My office is in the basement, with lots of external hard drives connected to aging Macbook. So I want to connect a hard drive to my extra Netgear WNDR3800 to provide wireless access through USB Storage/ReadyShare.
Setup: Used a Powerline adapter from LAN of Verizon router, and another into the LAN of the Netgear. Connected ethernet cable from LAN of Netgear to my office computer to Enable Access Point. Plugged in external hard drive to USB of Netgear.
I am unable to access the ReadyShare drive and only sometimes can login to the Netgear router using either its IP or routerlogin.net.
Are there other settings I should change on the Netgear? Should I go the static IP route? Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
RJ
Message 5 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you correctly set up the 3800 as an Access Point? I’m not sure if that router has a dedicated Access Point function in the Admin pages like some newer Netgear models (I think not). If you have to manually configure the 3800 here are the typical steps;

1. Set the DHCP range of the main router to a limited scope e.g. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199 (that will allow for up to 198 DHCP clients, should be more than enough)
2. Log into the 3800 that you plan to set as an access point
3. Configure all wireless settings and Readyshare settings as required
4. Go to the LAN Settings page of the 3800
5. Set the IP address of the 3800 to a static address above the DHCP range of the main router e.g. 192.168.1.200
6. Disable the DHCP server of the 3800
7. Click ‘Apply’, at this moment your PC may lose its connection to the 3800 due to the changes at steps 5 and 6
8. Connect a LAN port of the 3800 to your network
9. Power cycle the 3800 for good measure
10. When the 3800 has reinitialised you should then be able to access it at http://192.168.1.200
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks again for your response. I did step 1 with some slight changes. I started the DHCP range at 192.168.1.14 since My Network already showed my Netgear router as having 192.168.1.13.
But I can't even login in to my Netgear router to do any of the subsequent steps. I have tried to only connect the Netgear LAN to my computer LAN and typed in the IP address above and typed in routerlogin.net. I get nothing. So I can't make the needed changes to the Netgear router to finish the Access Point setup.
At this point, should I reset the Netgear to factory default and start from scratch?
Also, the Netgear SSID is still being broadcast. Is this a problem? Should I do something to only the Verizon name is seen throughout my house?
Thanks again,
RJ
Message 7 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok. So I did a factory restore and then was able to gain access to my Netgear router again. I think it had the same IP address as my Verizon router so things were screwy.
Now that I have access, I went to the Advanced Settings to pic up where I left off. I checked Enable AP Mode and unchecked Get IP Address Dynamically. For IP Address, I put in 192.168.1.2, and for IP Subnet Mask I put 255.255.255.0.
What do I put for Gateway IP Address? I left it blank and clicked Apply, but was told that was an incorrect Gateway IP Address. Hopefully all I need is what to type here and I can move ahead.
Also, can you provide more details on your Step #3? What might "Configure all wireless settings and Readyshare settings as required" include to accomplish the task of setting up my Netgear as a second router that is wired to my Verizon router, for the purpose of attaching a USB external hard drive?
Hopefully I am only a couple steps away from completing this process!
Thanks again,
RJ
Message 8 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your ‘3800 does have an AP mode, as your last post suggests that it does, then you might want to consider allowing it to get its IP address automatically from the Verizon, at least as a test to see if it works OK. There is an advantage to setting its IP address statically as you have done, because you always know where to find it, i.e. http://192.168.1.2 The Gateway and DNS addresses are typically the IP address of the router (in this case the Verizon), though some router manufacturers pass on DNS addresses rather than forward. If you do initially set the ‘3800 as an AP with IP address data automatically obtained, then you should be able to see what the Verizon allocates to the 3800 in terms of Gateway and DNS, you can then revert to static settings in the ‘3800 using the Gateway/DNS that you just noted. Seems like you are practically there.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks Andy. I will try that next. I ran into some trouble with the Netgear interfering with my Verizon router last night and then shut the whole thing down. I wonder if it has to do with how I named the different SSIDs. I changed both the 2.4 and 5 channels to match my Verizon SSID and password. But maybe I should have named them slightly differently, the way they came with slightly different names (i.e., -5G). Could this be causing a problem?
Message 10 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

And what about the channels for the SSIDs? One page I read recommended putting the Verizon router on channel 1 and the Netgear on 6, with the same SSID on both. But another page said to make sure the two routers used the same channel. Confused!
Message 11 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The term ‘interference’ is often used in relation to WiFi networks but typically it’s the wrong term to use. If you ‘Google’ ‘CSMA/CA’ you will see that in either the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band there can only ever be one transmitter at a time operating on a channel (or overlapping channel for 2.4GHz), that applies to all devices so even within a single network if there are say 10 WiFi clients and one router, they all have to take it in turns to transmit. True interference will only occur if a device breaks the CSMA/CA rules.

So with that in mind, it’s highly unlikely that the Netgear interfered with the Verizon (unless they are physically less than a metre apart), I have over 26 WiFi networks nearby and I have never seen any issues that I would consider to be interference.

Again, with CSMA/CA in mind, and the fact that only one device can ever transmit, if you have two or more Access Points (or WiFi routers) on your LAN, you can spread the workload for the 2.4GHz network in particular. The channels of the 2.4GHz band overlap by up to three higher and three lower channels, that’s why you will commonly see channels 1, 6, and 11 in use, these do not overlap each other. So if you have one AP on channel 6, and another on channel 1 or 11, then it’s possible to have two transmitters operating at the same time, they can’t ‘hear’ each other. So yes, in your situation I would set the two APs on different non-overlapping channels any two from 1, 6, and 11. Run a wireless scan first though to see what else is on those channels, a general rule is to pick the channels least occupied. An often counter-intuitive rule is to pick channels where the signal from adjacent networks is strong, avoid channels where the signal from adjacent networks is weak, I can explain why if you wish.

As for SSIDs / encryption, this is a matter of personal preference. I use the same encryption key everywhere, even when setting up networks at friends / relatives, makes life easy for me. The SSID I use at home is different for every network, but only because I do a lot of WiFi testing and I need to be sure what I’m connecting to, otherwise I would use the same SSID throughout. In your case I would suggest using the same SSID, same encryption key, different non-overlapping channels. This will, with most WiFi client devices, mean that you can move around the house with say a laptop, and the ‘roaming’ feature of the device should work quite seamlessly as the device switches between APs, but I will add that roaming should still work with different SSIDs. You might notice if you ever stay at a large hotel, that it is common for multiple APs to use the same SSID and encryption (if encryption is used at all) and the APs will be distributed across channels 1, 6, and 11. If arranged properly the physical distribution of APs will be such that two or more APs on the same channel are far from each other to reduce transmission overlap.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Andy,
My routers are on different floors of the house, but they are connected by ethernet. Isn't this the same as being right next to each other?
I see the benefits of having both routers use the same SSID and passwords, but it is okay that the 2.4 and 5 signals from the Netgear have the same name? Or do they have to have different names so something either connects to 2.4 or 5?
Message 13 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ethernet connection between routers or access points doesn’t affect the points I made above about WiFi.

If you want to force particular devices to connect to one network or the other then I would suggest that different SSIDs would help, but if you don’t really care which AP they connect to then you have the choice of setting the same SSID. Having said that some Netgear routers remove that choice by forcing the use of different SSIDs for the two frequency bands.
Highlighted
Aspirant

At this point, I restarted the entire process and just went with selecting AP mode and leaving everything dynamic. Everything seems to be working well. I looked on the Verizon for the IP of the Netgear and was able to login to it too. However, speeds seem strange.
I have set up the Netgear router in my office connected to a Powerline adapter that runs to the Verizon router. I have placed my computer NEXT TO the router and run speedtest.net tests. When I connect wirelessly to the Verizon router SSID, speeds are 25/25, as they should be. When I connect to the SSIDs put out by the Netgear (I haven't changed them yet), I get 15/15.
-Is there some setting I should change on the Netgear router to get better speeds?
The current Netgear setting on the 2.4GHz SSID says "Up to 130 Mbps", though the dropdown menu offers up to 300. The 5GHz SSID says "Up to 300 Mbps".
-Should I leave as is or make both 300?

Also, I take it from your previous response that it doesn't matter if both the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs coming from the Netgear have EXACTLY the same name. If so, my plan is to have the Verizon and both Netgear SSIDs all the same name for seamless roaming throughout the house. I will also put the Verizon on Channel 1 and the Netgear 2.4 on Channel 6. Sound good?
-What about the Netgear 5GHZ? Options are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161. It is set at 44.
Thank you so much for your help. I feel like I am soon close. Next, I am going to test using an attached USB drive.
Wish me luck!
RJ
Message 15 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Quick report on networked USB drive: Doesn't work with Mac drives!
I now realize that all my previous failures were not due to my configurations of the Netgear, but plugging in my external HDD to the router. It locks it up! I don't get access to ReadyShare, I no longer can login to the router, and the SSID is no longer working. I have to shut it down, unplug the HDD, and then restart to get everything working again.
The external HDD is a 2TB partitioned into 3 partitions. One partition is formatted as FAT32, another as Mac OS Extended, and the other as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I thought this would let me see what type of formatting was necessary to have a drive networked through the Netgear.
I experimented with another drive partitioned into two Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partitions and the same thing occurred.
Then I got out an old flash drive formatted to FAT16, and that works perfectly!
So what's the story? Do I have to just let the big drives sit for a long time until the Netgear processes all the information and shares the drives? Will they never work?
Sorry for all these questions but I am so close!
RJ
Message 16 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gogogut wrote:
Sorry for all these questions but I am so close!

It's the main purpose of the forums; don't be concerned about asking questions Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks. I look forward to your ideas on my issues.
I am wondering if there are enough constraints to my setup that I should consider buying a NAS or using a different router (Belkin N600).
Message 18 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would say that the decision to use a NAS should be based on the volume of data to be processed, e.g. full system backups over the LAN, the number of users who may have simultaneous access, and the method of access (WiFi, LAN, Remote). I use NAS drives on my LAN for backups and large amounts of video/music storage, but I also use router storage for when we have visitors, for sharing things like smartphone movies etc. i.e. relatively small volume use with easy access and no risk of important data loss.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have about 500GB of music and photos/videos in iTunes and iPhoto that I would love to share and backup on a network. That would allow my family to function on our macbook air and iOS devices. This was one of the main purposes I was envisioning for the Mini.
Perhaps I could connect a NAS to the router instead of external hard drives that seem to be having issues with Netgear.
Any ideas on my USB issues?
Message 20 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On these forums I have seen many cases of USB issues, and I’ve experienced them myself when testing a variety of routers and range extenders. I have USB devices which work perfectly well, never failing (typically memory sticks), and I have HD caddies which have never worked well with any USB attached storage router/extender. I probably have about 10-15 different devices I try and each with varying degrees of success / failure. So the problem I see with USB attached storage is mainly to do with the vast variety of devices that can be connected, with a variety of different features and quirks.

A NAS on the other hand is typically designed with HDs or maybe SSDs in mind, and so the risk of failure is dramatically reduced (though even then not eliminated). I have been using NAS devices long before USB attached storage appeared and have not yet been convinced that USB storage is mature enough to replace a NAS for high volume storage, but that day may come.

Regarding your idea of connecting a NAS to the router, I’m not sure what you are suggesting? A NAS would as its title suggest connect to your network by Ethernet and so in that way is connected to the router, are you suggesting connecting a NAS to the USB port? If so that’s highly unlikely to work unless the NAS supports USB access, most NAS drives with a USB port use that to extend the NAS capacity, i.e. to attach a HD to the NAS.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I would either plug the NAS by ethernet into my newly connected Netgear router in the office, or just use the power line adapter to connect the ethernet directly to the NAS (no need for the Netgear anymore if wireless range is fine in office).
Message 22 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Andy,
Judging from your previous response, I am wondering if I should move away from using the Netgear WNDR3800 as part of my home server solution. Perhaps a NAS or Apple solution (Airport Extreme or Time Capsule) would be a better, more stable option.
The NAS would connect by ethernet to the Verizon router.
The Apple product would connect by ethernet and probably replace the wireless functions of the Verizon router. They have ac wireless and would hopefully play nicely with all of our Apple products.
I just wish Verizon would allow us to use the USB port on their router and be done with it!
Thoughts?
Message 23 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What I have posted above is my own personal opinion, I see times when USB attached storage is a perfectly suitable option, but there are other use-cases where a dedicated NAS can provide better performance / functionality / security. I don’t believe I am doing Netgear a disservice in saying this since NAS devices are a significant part of Netgear’s product portfolio.

So, my opinion given the details you have posted here, is that a NAS would be a good choice in your situation, but there may be times when USB attached storage could have its uses e.g. for use by visitors for easy file exchange away from more sensitive data.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks again for your insight.
I have one final router configuration question.
As noted before, I gave the 2.4 signal on the Netgear the exact same SSID and password as the Verizon. I gave the 5 signal the same SSID with an added -5G at the end. So now both 2.4 and 5 are broadcast separately and show up as options in my wireless settings. When I connect to the 2.4 signal, my transmit rate maxes out at 130 Mbps. When I connect to the 5 signal, the transmit rate goes up to 162.
My question is: what happens if I also make the 5 signal have the exact same SSID and password as the 2.4 channels? In that case, I would not have an option for connecting, it would just connect to the SSID name of the Verizon. Would it sometimes be on 2.4 and sometimes on the 5? Would it limit itself just to 2.4?
Thanks again,
RJ
Message 25 of 32