Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Follower

4300 losing communication with modem

Recently, I have had a spate of connection issues with my ISP (charter). they have worked on their end to address consistency of signal and it has improved. I am now looking at the router as a potential issue. What is new to me is when service gets dodgy now, the routerlogin page will show that the internet is not connected. The modem will show a good connnection and when hard wired direct provided a quality signal.

Is there a setting or other issue I should address to avoid this loss of communication? A reboot will generally restore service, but it may take 2. Boot times seem long to me at 2-3 minutes. In the past, routers have booted in around a minute. Firmware is up-to-date.

How would you dx if the issue is at the modem or router than what I have done thus far?

Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: 4300 losing communication with modem

I am having a problem also with my 4300. When using a wi-fi analyzer on my smart phone, I can see a strong signal with the phone within a couple of feet of the router: 60 dBm. But when I walk down the hall with the phone the signal completely disappears. This pretty much verifies that my wife's laptop is not the problem. Anyone have any ideas? I've got both guest networks disabled and I just updated the firmware and rebooted the router twice. Thanks for any help you provide. Terry
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is little that the router can do to influence the situation you describe, if you have a strong signal close to the router, then the signal strength further away will obey the laws of physics. If it is weak further away then the most influential factors are attenuation though the air (distance), or attenuation due to objects (walls, furniture etc.). The only influence the router has over that situation is to modify its MiMo transmission pattern, but even so I would not expect a dramatic drop in received power unless something is attenuating the signal.

So when you walk down the hall is there still line-of-sight to the router or are there objects e.g. walls in the way?
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, I have line of sight as I walk down the hall. I can be sitting at the end of the house away from the router and watch the signal literally disappear on the smart phone app.. I changed the wifi channel from Auto to 12 and that seems to help. All the networks I can see in the neighborhood are in the range of 1 to 5 so I'm assuming I was getting interference from another network. Thanks for helping. BTW, the Andriod app. I'm using is called Wifi Analyzer and it's a great wifi network debug tool. TerrySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can’t think of anything that the router could do to affect the signal in the way you describe. If it’s strong nearer to the router then what happens as it propagates away simply follows the laws of physics, similar to a lamp which is bright up close, I can’t see why it would become dim just a few yards away.

Things like MiMo and beamforming might have some impact, but not to the extent that you describe.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm not sure why I didn't say this before but when the signal would disappear with the channel set to auto, I would walk back to the room where the router was located and the signal would still be gone. The signal would then inexplicably re-appear. This was true no matter where I was in the house. With the channel set to 11, I no longer lose the signal anywhere in the house. The signal strength ranges from -85 (which is labeled poor on the analyzer) at worst to -40 (which is closer to good than to best on the analyzer) at best. I'm not sure why I don't see a stronger signal with the phone right next to the router. BTW, I am now taking readings using the Netgear wifi app. and they are consistent with the other analyzer I was using. Thanks. Terry
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router and client devices negotiate with each other and will adjust signal strength as required, so that might explain why things appear to change as you move around the house, In that case I would expect the router to increase signal power if the client is far away. If you have a client device too close to the router e.g. less than 3 feet, then this can overload amplifier stages in the router and/or client resulting in poor signal quality. Signal quality is probably more important than signal strength.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks again for the info, Andy. What you say seems to explain low signal strength but not why the signal drops off entirely when I'm using channel setting Auto. Interestingly today at work I used the analyzer to see how the wifi networks are doing. I got readings of -25 dBm.

If my smart phone is connected to my home wifi, isn't it a client? How does the negotiation take place when there's a smart phone and a laptop talking to the router at the same time? Any chance having multiple active clients can affect signal strength?
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any device which associates with the router or access point is commonly referred to as a client.

WiFi networks operate using CSMA/CA and as such in any area there should only ever be one transmitting device at a time, that applies not only to devices on your network (including the router/AP) but also other networks within range on the same wireless channels. So basically all devices take turns to transmit, and each device can operate with its own discrete capabilities.

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Carrier_sense_multiple_access_with_collision_av...

There have been times when I have been on the edge of a wireless network range, in that situation it can be difficult to associate with the router, it may take several attempts, but when the association is made the signal strength of the router appears to increase to compensate. I’ve been looking for Internet references that describe this process, but they are difficult to find, I will post a link if I find something appropriate.
Highlighted
Aspirant

I think you just explained why the signal strength on the 3 wifi network we have at work are so strong. I counted a total of 8 wifi networks on the analyzer. Thanks again for the info.
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the Charter ISP coming on 5/26 to investigate an unstable and low , 1 to 2 bars out of 5, WiFi signal source condition and resolve that as possible before any further netgear arlo adjustments. However the WiFi signal source is so low now that the arlo camera batteries have drained already within just a few days after installing fresh batteries! I have been advised by Charter ISP that it may be necessary to replace the current netgear router which is the source of the WiFi distribution from the Charter ISP internet cable feed. When charter tech support comes they will troubleshoot and advise. I currently have netgear router model WNDR3800. Please advise if you have additional support comments or suggestions that could help this situation.
Message 11 of 11