4500: Losing connection and port forwarding

pllasma
Aspirant

4500: Losing connection and port forwarding

Hello, I just got the 4500 and I have to say it is very fast compared to my Linksys.

I do have a few issues..

1. The router loses connection to the internet and when I log on to the web based utility, all I have to do is click the Internet Status icon on the Home page and my internet comes back. It never says it's disconnected though, which is the wierd thing. Tried rebooting and i do have the lasted firmware. My internet is through Comcast.

2. Port forwarding doesn't seem to be working. I had no issues with the Linksys forwarding a specific port, but with the Netgear, i can't seem to get it to work. Is there anything I can try?

Thank you..
Message 1 of 11
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: 4500: Losing connection and port forwarding

Did you search the forum? There is a thread not far away that cites some problems where comcast is a common factor.
Message 2 of 11
pllasma
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
Did you search the forum? There is a thread not far away that cites some problems where comcast is a common factor.

yes, but it doesn't make sense that all I have to do is go into the netgear web interface, click on the internet icon, and it works.

Forgot to add that the internet never drops when in use. it's always when it's at idle.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

what is the cable modem model you are using...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
pllasma
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
what is the cable modem model you are using...

it's the Arris TG852G CT
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/TG852G_TS_24SEP10.pdf

seems this router as well, therefore you have issues with port forwarding.

you need to call our ISP and if you can setup arris to push public IP to your 4500. I bet your WAN of 4500 is not public IP (ISP released IP)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 11
StratmanX
Tutor

The following may not have anything to do with your problem...

I had a similar issue of dropped connection when using the standalone Genie application, but not the browser GUI Genie. My issue was with a Dell network utility that loaded at boot that conflicted with the Genie standalone application. After disabling the Dell network utility in Services (of Windows XP) I had no further issue.
Message 7 of 11
Stefan_H
Aspirant

I had a very similar issue loosing my Internet connection within a few seconds to 5 minutes. Everytime after rebooting my router this started over and over. The standalone Netgear Genie app also was very slow picking up that I was disconnected from the Internet and usually took an 1 hour or more for to show that status.

Turns out by default Netgear has the RIP Version disabled. In my case I had to pick RIP_1, enough for my configuration, to enable proper routing. That resolved my connectivity issue.

Here is the only major change I made on the Netgear Genie front-end you get to as everyone knows on your network via http://routerlogin.net .

Advanced tab --> Setup --> LAN Setup --> RIP Version = RIP_1

I have RIP Direction set to “Both”

My Netgear router IP address starts with 10.0.0.1 since my ISP modem already uses 192.168.1.1 both with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

I believe Netgear should make the default setting “RIP_1” and that would remedy lots of user setup issues in regards to connectivity. Just my 2 cents.
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

My Netgear router IP address starts with 10.0.0.1 since my ISP modem already uses 192.168.1.1 both with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

you are using double nat that is why you may seeing some issues with traffic.

if you are using DSL services, put that broadband modem/router in bridge mode
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 11
Stefan_H
Aspirant

jmizoguchi,

Please read my post more carefully.

I actually provided a potential solution to the problem. I no longer have a problem as mentioned in my post since I made this last configuration change.
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can still run double NAT so only suggestion so that 4500 has public up over private ip on WAN of 4500
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements