• 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

5 GHz mode issues

I have set up my WNDR3800 to only be a router without DHCP activated. I have a pfsense firewall and DHCP server setup on a mini-PC. It passes on the Internet connection to the WNDR3800. When I try to use the 5 GHz connection, it will connect without problems, but after a while, it will say I am not connected to the Internet. I'm still connected to the WNDR3800, just can't get through to the Internet. The 2.4 GHz connection and cable works fine. Trying to make Windows repair the connection, won't help. If i connect to the 2.4 GHz network with the same unit it will work fine, but if I connect back through 5 GHz, no Internet. The only thing that helps it to unplug the WNDR3800 for at least 10 sec, reboot it and reconnect. Then I'll be connected to the Internet, but after a short while, same thing will happen again. Any idea what the problem could be? My computer is a brand new Dell Precision M6800, running Windows 8.1, WiFi-adapter is Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN. Thanks for the help. Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: 5 GHz mode issues

You could try a different channel, if using higher 3 digit, use lower 2 digit. Make sure you're using unique SSID's for 2.4 & 5g.

Try un-installing 6300 and then reinstall.
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

For channels I only have the option of: 36, 40, 44 and 48, it was set to 44, I'll try the others and see. The SSIDs are unique. Will try reinstall the wifi adapter as well. (it works fine at work though, on a 5 GHz network).
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do you have another 5g device connected to 3800? Try lowering 5g mode to 300 mhz. The 6300 is capable of 450 and uses 3 channels which might not sit well with 3800 and or the 5g radio could be failing.
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Odd, in the drop down list, I only have the three options of speed: 54, 150 and 300. 450 is not an option for the 3800.
I have to check all our newer devices. I don't think there are any other devices connected that uses the 5 GHz. Is there a way to see on the 3800 what speed the different devices are connected at?
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't own a 3800 so I'm guessing I was incorrect assuming it went to 450 try 150. In windows you can see the connection status. There isn't a way to see speeds in router. Some use the genie app, not sure if that shows device connection speeds.

Just because the card (6300) is capable of 450 it doesn't mean it would ever connect at 450 without a router capable of 450.

Based on the fact that rebooting solves the problem temporarily I would replace the router.
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Think I found the problem - is was PC related, or the WiFi card in the computer. No idea what it does, but Ad Hoc QoS Mode was disabled, I enabled it, and since then it has been working, Seems like the speed is better too, as streaming now seems to work without quality drops. I tested with my Mac Book pro and it worked fine using the same connection when the Dell was not, so that's why I figured it was PC related. Thanks a lot for the help. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Spoke too soon. When I got home from work today it didn't work again. This time is didn't work when I first connected. If the wifi card is the issue, should I not have problems with it on all 5 GHz networks? At work it seems to work without any problems...
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

replace the router, keep receipt handy incase it's not a router problem.
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Okay, so I'm running the same router and have a qualcomm adapter in my ho laptop. The driver is oem and was the same driver I used to have this laptop when it was running win7. Now I ran wi does 7 for about two days and scrubbed the hdd and I stalled Linux mint, I have been using mint for a while now (former Ubuntu lover, haven't used windows for about a decade), mint had no issues with this router or network and the network/router has been giving a solid push n pull for a year or more. The moment I put windows 8.1 on it, it's pushing about 2mbps and pulling about 4-7mbps as where Linux averaged about 22mbps. I disabled QoS and IPv6 protocols and that made the stream go steady and gave me the ability to surf at a -nearly- constant 7mbps (according to speedtest.net). So it's NOT the adapter (I now have duel boot and Linux does fine on the same machine) and its NOT the router (two phones, one -other- Linux laptop, one ps4, one ps3 and a Samsung smart tv all work exceedingly well) so it HAS to be a Windows issue and by the sheer volume of complaints on the net about Win8/8.1/10 all having basically the same issue, I'm convinced this is a windows problem. So I guess this begs the question; what in the bloody hell is Microsoft -or anyone- going to do about it, 8.1 has been out since 2013 (I think) and that's just unacceptable. Any solutions other than the minor aforementioned fix?? remember, disabling QoS and IPv6 will help but it's not a "real" fix.
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

HP* laptop, GD autocorrect
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Oh and getting a 3rd party browser really helps. Google Chrome is pretty good and Opera is a-ok. NEVER use Mozilla ANYTHING, especially Firefox, does no-one but myself remember when they were one of the biggest distributors of malware and ad ware before these were household terms. They made their billions selling your info to fourth parties. Just a friendly reminderSmiley Happy
Message 12 of 12