× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5G issue with AC1750 Model # R6350

BullseyeBonez
Aspirant

5G issue with AC1750 Model # R6350

Hello,

I have the AC 1750 dual band router (model # R6350). I pay for internet speeds up to 30 mbps. I used to get that on both bands, but for the past week, I can't get anything higher than 3 mbps on the 5G frequency. I still get full speed over wifi on the 2.4G frequency or if I plug directly into the modem or router. I've logged into the router and tried all the other channels available for 5G, but none improve the speed. Any ideas as to why I am having this problem on 5G only?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
Bheezen
Guide

5g needs double the frequency. Channel 36 and up. Has anything changed in ur home? New devices tvs anything pumping out Frequency? Changing the channel can sometimes help but I have seen everything from Google Nests to Doorbells to Surveillance affect ur connection.

Check into WiFi analyzer or similar WiFi channel sniffer... if techie u can see what’s going on.
Message 2 of 9
BullseyeBonez
Aspirant

Thanks, @Bheezen . Nothing has changed tech-wise in our house. I downloaded a wifi analyzer app, but am not super tech-smart. It seemed to imply the best channel for my 5G setting was where I have it. I bought a desktop that came with a dual band USB wifi device. It's now the only computer or device not getting good speed on 5G wifi. I tried another laptop on 5G and it was fine. So, it seems like the problem is either in my desktop or the USB device? Any ideas on how I can figure that out?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Bheezen
Guide

When u say USB WiFi device, do u know what it is? I am guessing but it may be a dead zone, usb WiFi device issue like a driver, interference from that spot to the router.

Instead of drilling u with questions, this is what I would do.

1) pull up ur device connection settings and confirm ur network band, channel connected, and protocol (802.11X) and Link speed if available. Assuming all good...
2) reboot and run a speed test on it to show what ur pulling for download speed. If ur speed is bad...
2) pull in another device at that exact location and run a speed test on that device connected to 5g. (This would help in diagnosing if ur WiFi device or dead zone).

Shoot me ur WiFi adaptor make and model and that would help troubleshoot too
Message 4 of 9
BullseyeBonez
Aspirant

I don't know why it

Thanks @Bheezen . For your step #1, This is what I have:

Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 161
Description: Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Driver version: 1030.27.425.2018

I don't know why it says channel 161 because I switched it to 44 in the Router settings.

Speedtest on 2.4 gives me about 30 mbps (my max speed on my plan). Test on 5GHz gives me between 2-4 mbps. Rebooting doesn't help. I don't have another USB wifi adapter to compare and I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to run from my router which is about 12 feet away. Since I am in the same room and so close to my router, I can't imagine it's a dead spot.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
Bheezen
Guide

Make sure u forget the network when u connect.

Also does this sound similar?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-rtl8812bu-wireless-lan-80211ac-usb-nic...

That adaptor has lots of hits related to driver problems from google. Lol!
Message 6 of 9
BullseyeBonez
Aspirant

Hi, @Bheezen . I found that post hard to follow, but I did try forgetting the 5G network and then re-connecting, but that didn't make a difference.

As for the post, I think I understand that they had success installing the driver from the installation CD only which is what I did.

Message 7 of 9
BullseyeBonez
Aspirant

I went further down the rabbit hole of that post and turned off Microsoft's automatic driver updates, uninstalled the device, and reinstalled from the CD. Still slow speeds on 5G.

Message 8 of 9
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BullseyeBonez,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Does it affect all your WiFi devices connected to the 5 GHz? Have you tried updating the firmware of the router? What is the current firmware version? 

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7