× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6400v2 stopped broadcasting 5G and Nighthawk times out so i cant get in to check

curly53
Aspirant

6400v2 stopped broadcasting 5G and Nighthawk times out so i cant get in to check

Router is less then 2 years old. tried Nighthawk on 2 diff phones and apk on fire tablet but all time out after a few seconds. even old genie times out. how can i check things out. if i hard reset and nighthawk still wont connect im out of luck.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: 6400v2 stopped broadcasting 5G and Nighthawk times out so i cant get in to check

You have the R6400v2?

What firmware is on it? 

What modem/gateway do you have? 

Have you tried accessing it using the IP address? 

Message 2 of 7
curly53
Aspirant

Re: 6400v2 stopped broadcasting 5G and Nighthawk times out so i cant get in to check

yes i have tried the ip address to no sucess. Modem is a SB 6121 and dont know about firmware since i cant get in to check. it was working fine then came home from work and it wasnt.

Message 3 of 7

@curly53 wrote:

Modem is a SB 6121 and dont know about firmware since i cant get in to check. it was working fine then came home from work and it wasnt.

Standard modem only devices.

Try this:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

This is timed to let the modem get an Internet connection before the router tries to connect.

Your initial description of what is happening is hard to follow. (What is this "old genie"?) Sadly "doesn't work" provides little diagnostic help.

I assume that these are all wifi devices that don.t connect. What about anything wired?

What do the lights on the router tell you, especially the wifi lights. And what about the Internet light?

Message 4 of 7
curly53
Aspirant

Genie is the older app from Netgear. All my lights are on, internet is fine which is how im able to be on here. All my devices connect to 2G just fine. Its just the 5G that has disappeared. Wifi search on PC and phones only show my 2G network.

Message 5 of 7

@curly53 wrote:

Genie is the older app from Netgear.

Yes. But which one? Mobile for Android/iOS or desktop for Windows/MacOS? Netgear likes to make these things difficult.

The firmware update that allowed the Nighthawk app to work on the R6400v2 will have killed the genie.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

If the Nighthawk app works on your phone the genie won't. You can't get both to work.

Its just the 5G that has disappeared. Wifi search on PC and phones only show my 2G network.

5 GHz has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz. Maybe it got lost?

As you have a PC have you tried using a wired LAN access to get at the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

What IP address are you trying to use to access the router? 

What device are you using? If its a mac/ios device, make sure icloud relay and private mac/ip address are disabled. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7