Re: AC 1750 R6400 drops wired connection, but then when I start browing restarts... kind of a pain

natcon
Guide

AC 1750 R6400 drops wired connection, but then when I start browing restarts... kind of a pain

My new AC1750 is dropping wired connection like it is going to sleep and then it comes back on. Not sure what that is about, no other router has ever done that. Trying to figure out if my settings are right. It is an HP laptop

Message 1 of 10
natcon
Guide

Re: AC 1750 R6400 drops wired connection, but then when I start browing restarts... kind of a pain

The wireless connections do not seem to be dropping on anything else. Although the laptop cannot connect through wireless 5 due to lack of ability of the network adapter

Message 2 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @natcon,

There are several factors that may be affecting the wired connection.

1. Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?

2. Have you tried using another port on the router?

3. Does the issue happen on other wired devices?

4. Have you updated the drivers of the wired adapter on the computer?

5. Is the router firmware up to date?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 10
natcon
Guide

There are several factors that may be affecting the wired connection.

1. Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?  No, but I have used two different routers in the last month on this line and they both worked fine and gave the maximum mbps without any dropping. So I do not think it is the line.

2. Have you tried using another port on the router?  I think I did that, but I will do that again.

3. Does the issue happen on other wired devices? No, the wired devices seem to be fine.

4. Have you updated the drivers of the wired adapter on the computer?
I think all the adapters on the computer have the most recent drivers, but again the wired connection has worked fine with other routers just as recently as yesteray.

5. Is the router firmware up to date? I believe so I will check again.

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
natcon
Guide

continuing to drop. Strangest thing I have ever seen. Then a page comes up that says network changed. Not sure what that is about. I did try to change the cable going to my computer, but it just did it again so I dont think that is the issue. It is almost like the signal is changing and it disconnects then reconnects at will. Maybe it is a faulty unit. Not sure. 

Message 5 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @natcon,

I recommend performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

You can find the latest firmware version using the link below:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R6400#searchResults

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 10
natcon
Guide

We already did that. It doesnt matter. I am getting nearly 50mbps wifi right next to the router and almost 40 mbps all over the house. We have a 3300 sq ft. house with over 8 devices hooked up. Never have a dropped connection with wi fi.  This thing is a monster. 

Message 7 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @natcon,

Good to know that you are not experiencing any issues on the Wi-Fi. May I know if you have tried using another Ethernet cable and tried using another port for your wired computer?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 10
natcon
Guide

I tried the cable again just a few minutes ago and it had the same result. However the wi fi is so good it does not matter. I am not sure if it is an issue with this computer or what. I have never experienced it before so I am not sure. 

Message 9 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @natcon,

The only way we can isolate that is to try another device or computer using the same cable on the same port of the router and see if the issue would persist.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements