× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC Adapter for Netgear Router

nanonpawt
Follower

AC Adapter for Netgear Router

Will my AC adapter, which is rated at 10V and 1.2A, work with my Netgear WNDR3800 router, which is rated at 12 V, 2.5A? Is there a general rule of thumb for this, for example: "if both V and A are lower on the AC Adapter that the device, it's okay to use." or something like that? I'm not saying that statement is necessarily true, by the way.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No, 

General rule of thumb is to get same V and A replacement adapter as original power adapter. 

Look on Amazon or fleabay or other online e-tailors for replacements. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

It might run for a bit with lower amperage but it won't be stable. 

You can run with a higher amperage power supply but a lower will cause instabilities and issues. 

Message 3 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

if it works your router will be running slower, maybe even wifi disconnects from it being under the necessary voltage.

Message 4 of 5

@nanonpawt wrote:

Will my AC adapter, which is rated at 10V and 1.2A, work with my Netgear WNDR3800 router, which is rated at 12 V, 2.5A?

As everyone else says, bad idea.

I chip in only to suggest that you look around for something else in the house that might have the right specifications.

12 V, 2.5A is a pretty widespread specification for electronic kit. For example, I have seen it on powered USB and other  PC peripherals.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7