× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 router dropping Internet repeatedly

Zimby
Aspirant

AC1200 router dropping Internet repeatedly

I have a AC1200 Smart WiFi Router, R6220, purchased in 2017 with current firmware version: V1.1.0.50_1.0.1 (no new firmware version available).

A couple weeks ago our Internet started going down repeatedly and we would have to power cycle the modem to get it back up. We obtained a brand new modem from our provider (Optimum) and they paid a visit to our home to install a brand new cable drop from the pole. However, after all that our Internet keeps going out every few hours. I have found that simply unplugging the ethernet cable from the modem to the router and plugging it in again immediately solves the problem, without power cycling anything, but this only solves the problem for another couple hours when the Internet inevitably goes down again. We have nothing plugged in to the router except for the ethernet cable from the modem. I see that this model router is still being made so it doesn't make sense to just purchase a new one. Please advise on how to solve this issue. Many thanks!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: AC1200 router dropping Internet repeatedly

@Zimby wrote:

I have a AC1200 Smart WiFi Router, R6220, purchased in 2017 with current firmware version: V1.1.0.50_1.0.1 (no new firmware version available).

How did you check that? That is by no means the latest version.

There have been a dozen or so since that one:

R6220 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

This is the newest:

R6220 Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I'd try that before going any further.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@Zimby wrote:

How did you check that? That is by no means the latest version.

There have been a dozen or so since that one:

R6220 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

This is the newest:

R6220 Firmware Version 1.1.0.114 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I'd try that before going any further.

Message 2 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

Could be that the internet port on your router is starting to fail.If I were you, I'd try to change the firmware on your router, if you're on the latest firmware, I'd try downloading and installing a previous firmware version to see if that helps the issue.

Message 3 of 5
Zimby
Aspirant

NETGEAR Genie was reporting no new firmware available when I had it search for updates. That is what misled me into thinking no firmware updates were available. I found the new firmware on the Netgear website and installed that - problem fixed.

My first impulse was to update the firmware. This was obviously a problem with the NEARGEAR Genie software in that it was unable to locate an update on its own.

The problem IS resolved. Thank you for your suggestions!

Message 4 of 5

@Zimby wrote:

NETGEAR Genie was reporting no new firmware available when I had it search for updates. That is what misled me into thinking no firmware updates were available. I found the new firmware on the Netgear website and installed that - problem fixed.

Yes. Netgear's update check is a joke.

That's why we recommend doing what you did. Check the support pages for your devices.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7