× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1600 - Bridge mode on - No internet connection

armando3421
Aspirant

AC1600 - Bridge mode on - No internet connection

Hi,

I bought a router to which I wanted to connect to my Netgear AC1600 (which a modem & router at the same time). I disconnected the modem feature by putting the AC1600 in bridge mode (by turning it off through the routerlogin -> advanced feature), however when I do this, and the machine reboots, I lose internet connection. Once rebooted, I connected the Netgear AC1600 to my computer through Ethernet and no internet connection would go through.

By any chance, does any one know what's happening or how to fix this? If it helps, I'm an Xfinity customer so I connect my Netgear AC1600 through cable. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 4

Re: AC1600 - Bridge mode on - No internet connection

@armando3421 wrote:

Hi,

I bought a router to which I wanted to connect to my Netgear AC1600 (which a modem & router at the same time).

What Netgear device do you own? AC1600 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Netgear makes modem/routers for DSL and cable. Which is it?

I disconnected the modem feature by putting the AC1600 in bridge mode (by turning it off through the routerlogin -> advanced feature), however when I do this, and the machine reboots, I lose internet connection. Once rebooted, I connected the Netgear AC1600 to my computer through Ethernet and no internet connection would go through.

When you do that it is important to start the network in the right order. The manual spells this out.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

It might help if you said what the new router is, as well as the model of the Netgear device.

If it helps, I'm an Xfinity customer so I connect my Netgear AC1600 through cable. 

Are you saying that the "AC1600" is the modem/router?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 4
armando3421
Aspirant

Thanks for the help! 

My Netgear device is an AC1600 "Wifi Cable Modem Router" C6250. It has both functionality, a modem and a router at the same time. I'm trying to disconnect the router (by doing the Bridge mode) to eventually connect another router to it (as this router has VPN server functionality that the AC1600 doesn't have). The new router is a TP-LINK Archer AX3200 however I was trying to connect to my modem only using ethernet before connecting to the new router, to make sure the internet was going through.

I checked the manual before posting and followed the instructions (which was to go into routerlogin.net -> advanced setup -> wireless-> route mode - OFF

I reset it the Netgear device and followed the steps you mentioned and it's giving me the same connectivity issue (where connecting to my laptop using an ethernet cable to the Netgear AC1600 in Bridge mode, there is no internet going through).

Do you think it could be the internet company (i.e. Comcast/ Xfinity) blocking the device since it's Bridge mode only? It seems kind of strange that could be the case, however you never know.

Thanks for your help and replies. I really appreciate your help on this! 

Message 3 of 4

@armando3421 wrote:

I checked the manual before posting and followed the instructions (which was to go into routerlogin.net -> advanced setup -> wireless-> route mode - OFF

The instructions for using the C6250 in modem only (bridge) mode are this section of the manual:

Cable the Modem Router to a Router and Use Bridge Mode

Turning off the wifi, which seems to be what you did, does not turn the C6250 into a modem. It just becomes a router with no wifi.

Advanced -> wireless-> route mode - OFF

If this is what you did, it is wrong.

It should be:

ADVANCED > Administration > Router Mode

Do you think it could be the internet company (i.e. Comcast/ Xfinity) blocking the device since it's Bridge mode only? It seems kind of strange that could be the case, however you never know.

I doubt it, but you'll have to ask them.

When you have put the device into modem only mode, you may have to get the ISP to set it up again for the network. When you have done that and got the modem working you can think about adding your new router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7