× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750, Internet suddenly not working

Dennis_
Aspirant

AC1750, Internet suddenly not working

I've had this router for about 2 years without any problems at all, but suddenly (when i just built my pc, no idea if this is related to the problem) the internet stopped working (internet light on the router is off). Sometimes when I restart the modem and router there is internet for about 10 minutes until it disconnects again (both through ethernet on my pc and wifi on my phone). I've tried everything I could find online, updated firmware and even reset the router a couple of times, but nothing seems to work. The ethernet cable works fine when plugged directly in my pc. What can I do to fix this problem?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Dennis_
Aspirant

Sorry for replying to this post months later, but I'd like to let you know that I finally fixed the problem by using an ethernet cable tool to fix the end of the cable. I didn't try this before because the cable worked as normal directly in my pc and on a networking switch i used since the router stopped working. I guess I was too rough getting it out one time

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@Dennis_ wrote:

Sometimes when I restart the modem and router there is internet for about 10 minutes until it disconnects again (both through ethernet on my pc and wifi on my phone).

What is this modem?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

@Dennis_ wrote:

(internet light on the router is off).

According to the manual, off means "No Ethernet cable is connected between the router and the modem."

Message 2 of 8
Dennis_
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply,

Modem: zxhn h369a.
Firmware version: V1.0.4.82_10.0.57
The ethernet cable is definitely correctly connected to both the router and modem as the problem can be fixed sometimes for small time by just taking out the cables and restarting the modem and router.

Message 3 of 8

@Dennis_ wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

Modem: zxhn h369a.

And the make is?

Google suggests that this may be a modem/router.

Does it have more than one LAN port? Does it also do wifi?

Message 4 of 8
Dennis_
Aspirant

https://nl.hardware.info/product/418384/zte-tele2-zxhn-h369a

Not sure if that site is available in english but I hope you can understand what it says. It does have wifi

Message 5 of 8

That is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The fact that the thing worked for two years may mean that it wsas in AP mode eartlier and that the reset put it back into router mode.

The fact that it works for a time and then "hangs up" may be because it suddenly spots the conflict.

Message 6 of 8
Dennis_
Aspirant

Thanks a lot!

That also explains why the problems became worse after the reset. Hope that will fix the problems

Message 7 of 8
Dennis_
Aspirant

Sorry for replying to this post months later, but I'd like to let you know that I finally fixed the problem by using an ethernet cable tool to fix the end of the cable. I didn't try this before because the cable worked as normal directly in my pc and on a networking switch i used since the router stopped working. I guess I was too rough getting it out one time

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7