AC1750 R6400 Experience significant delays with Skype screenshare

Hulster
Aspirant

AC1750 R6400 Experience significant delays with Skype screenshare

Need some help with Skype screen share with Windows 10. When we do a Skype screen share directly connected to the modem the screen refreshes immediately. As soon as we connect through the router the page refreshes take 3 - 10 seconds which is unnacceptable for a webex type conference. We have taken every suggested step to reolve the problem. We are connected via ethernet to a LAN port. I have set QoS on the port and device to High Priority. I created a static IP for port forwarding. The problem still exists. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: AC1750 R6400 Experience significant delays with Skype screenshare

Does this help:  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA148/which-ports-need-to-be-open-to-use-skype-for-windows-desktop

I'm thinking you can set the inbound connection port on the PC, and then forward that port to the PC.

A simpler test would be to put the PC into the DMZ of the router temporarily and see it that solves the performance bottleneck.

Message 2 of 6
Hulster
Aspirant

I did find that link previously and the Skype app is set correctly, thanks.

Here's what I've done to this point...I created a static IP. I set Port Forwarding to the static IP address on the laptop for the Skype app, using the router login screen. I designated ports 80, 443, and 62045 which is the Skype port, for both the internal and external port. The internal IP address is the static IP address I created for the laptop.

I also set QoS for the port and device to High Priority.

I will try the DMZ option this weekend...I need someone to test a Skype screen share...however, I'm hoping for another solution the limits my risk exposure.

Thanks for you help.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Hulster wrote:

I set Port Forwarding to the static IP address on the laptop for the Skype app, using the router login screen. I designated ports 80, 443, and 62045

I wouldn't forward 80 and 443.  Those are http/https ports, and you could end up with a lot of unwanted connection attempts to the PC.

Putting it in the DMZ is a good test.

Message 4 of 6
Hulster
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I did some additional testing and research over the weekend. I tried the DMZ and that had little improvement. It wasn't until I went to the NAT and changed it from secure to open did it finally correct the problem. After setting NAT to open I removed port forwarding and it performrd fine. Looks like it was NAT all along.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Thx for posting back your solution.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements