× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 R6400 not connecting to internet

BBjorgum
Aspirant

AC1750 R6400 not connecting to internet

I was not connecting to the Internet and was quite certain it was a Spectrum/Charter outage although their tech support couldn't or wouldn't verify that. Several times I went through the process of rebooting the cable modem first, then the AC1750 and once pushed the router reset button but still had only very intermittent or no internet traffic. The next morning internet traffic seemed to be restored but I did have to reconfigure the router since I had "reset" it.  Finally all seemed back to normal. Question #1: Two of the device names on the Netgear phone app seem abbreviated - why is this or how do I change them?  Question 2: I have created two WiFi SSID names, one with the "-5G" extension, both with the same password and this is working fine but I'm wondering if that is a normal setup. Question 3: The router keeps offering to add BitDefender to several of the devices - can I just add that without additional cost? Question 4: I previously paid for and added BitDefender to my laptop through a computer support business - should I end that arrangement and allow the AC1750 to provide BitDefender?

Thank you. Bruce

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
BBjorgum
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 R6400 not connecting to internet

I believe the firmware is up to date but do not know the version number.  The Internet supplier is Spectrum/Charter and the modem is a Cisco DPC3216. However the morning after I was having the experience everything worked as normal so the problem was definitely a Spectrum outage - it's just that Spectrum never admitted to that when I talked with their technical support staff. Nevertheless, thank your for your comments.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Review the user manual and quick install guides on how to set up this router:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx#docs

Message 2 of 3
BBjorgum
Aspirant

I believe the firmware is up to date but do not know the version number.  The Internet supplier is Spectrum/Charter and the modem is a Cisco DPC3216. However the morning after I was having the experience everything worked as normal so the problem was definitely a Spectrum outage - it's just that Spectrum never admitted to that when I talked with their technical support staff. Nevertheless, thank your for your comments.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7