× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750 R6400 port forward stopped working

gcgraham1701
Aspirant

AC1750 R6400 port forward stopped working

I installed the R6400 three months ago and the port forwarding worked flawlessly until two nights ago when my two cameras stopped working across the WAN. Here is what I've done so far to fix it.

• Updated firmare to June 14th release.
  • Confirmed Comcast modem is still in bridge mode.
  • Comfirmed camera operation in LAN.
  • Resetup all port forwarding entries.
  • Confirmed DDNS operation.
  • Used actual ISP IP address with port.
  • I used multiple devices that use to be able to view cameras (computer, phone, ipad, etc)
  • It's like the router started blocking ports 8100 and 8101.

What did I miss?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Figured it out. My ISP modem got scrambled and started handing out a private IP address to the Netgear Router although it was in bridge mode. Replaced it and all is back up and running just fine.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

uPnP disabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

It's enabled.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

When using any PF rules, uPnP should be disabled. 

Message 4 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Thanks, FURRYe38. I'll give it a try! 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save settings then do a full reboot of the router and cameras. Let us know how it goes. 

Message 6 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Just returned to the house to work on it again, sorry for the delay.

• Disabled UPnP and tested,did not make a difference.
  • Backed up, reset router to factory defaults, and setup router from scratch with PF, to no avail.

The frustrating thing is that it was working for months. I even re-installed my original netgear router that also worked, and even the old router doesn't work.

Something has to be going on with my ISP. I'll try there again, unless you have any other ideas.

Message 7 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Figured it out. My ISP modem got scrambled and started handing out a private IP address to the Netgear Router although it was in bridge mode. Replaced it and all is back up and running just fine.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Cheers. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
gyang1086
Aspirant

Hi, so did you call and get a brand new modem from your ISP? Is there not a way to reset the modem you have to fix the port forwarding issue? My PF was working great for around 3 months and this morning failed to connect anymore.

Message 10 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Long story short, had a power failure. Modem did not come back in bridge mode. I logged on and set it to bridge mode and it locked up. Comcast could not get it to work after a number of resets with less than stellar support. They had me go to the local comcast site to exchange modems. Had to speak to first and second level support and finally they were able to shutdown wireless and put into bridge mode. If you have the same issue I did, look to make sure the Netgear router sees the actual providers IP address and not a private one.

Message 11 of 13
gyang1086
Aspirant

gotcha. I suspected a lost of power last night too. I do not remember putting my modem into bridge mode when I first setup my AC1900 nighthawk router. The modem is from time warner. Do I turn on bridge mode through the router settings or getting into the modem settings?

Message 12 of 13
gcgraham1701
Aspirant

Well, if you are using your AC1900 to hand out IP address (DHCP) and perform your port forwarding stuff, then your ISP modem should be in bridge mode. Basically what you are doing is giving the brains to your Netgear router and just pass the internet through your ISP modem. So, I would call Time Warner and confirm that your ISP modem should be in bridge modem, and that will be based on which device is performing the above functions.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7