× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 R6400 to replace older WNDR3400 but need WEP for Security camera..

DaveN14
Aspirant

AC1750 R6400 to replace older WNDR3400 but need WEP for Security camera..

Hi,

I needed to purchase a new router because my r3400 would not go over 20mbps with xfinity 75mbps package deal that i have. So all is working just fine for the speeds with this new router. But I have four older security camera's from panasonic that I was using with the old router and the camera's only has WEP for Security. This new router does not have this to pick from, only WPA/WPA2. 

So can I still use my camera's with the new router? Is there a way to hook both routers up at the same time to get these camera's working again?

Not sure what to do here, any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: AC1750 R6400 to replace older WNDR3400 but need WEP for Security camera..

You may want to consider getting new cameras.  WEP is not a secure protocol.  It's trivial to crack and once someone breaks in, the entire network will be accessible.  If you are willing to accept this risk, read on.

You can convert the WNDR3400 into an Access Point.  I'm not intimately familiar with this model but there appears to be an AP Mode setting under Advanced Wireless Settings.  Turn that on, then connect the WNDR3400 to one of the LAN ports on the R6400.  Make sure to use a different Wi-Fi channel than used by the R6400 to keep them from competing with each other for airtime.

If the AP Mode setting doesn't work, then there is an alternative method.  Disable the WNDR3400's DHCP server.  Set its LAN IP address to belong to the subnet managed by the R6400 but make sure it's outside of the DHCP range.  Then connect one of the WNDR3400's LAN port to one of the R6400's LAN port.  Leave the WAN port on the WNDR3400 disconnected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You may want to consider getting new cameras.  WEP is not a secure protocol.  It's trivial to crack and once someone breaks in, the entire network will be accessible.  If you are willing to accept this risk, read on.

You can convert the WNDR3400 into an Access Point.  I'm not intimately familiar with this model but there appears to be an AP Mode setting under Advanced Wireless Settings.  Turn that on, then connect the WNDR3400 to one of the LAN ports on the R6400.  Make sure to use a different Wi-Fi channel than used by the R6400 to keep them from competing with each other for airtime.

If the AP Mode setting doesn't work, then there is an alternative method.  Disable the WNDR3400's DHCP server.  Set its LAN IP address to belong to the subnet managed by the R6400 but make sure it's outside of the DHCP range.  Then connect one of the WNDR3400's LAN port to one of the R6400's LAN port.  Leave the WAN port on the WNDR3400 disconnected.

Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

It is a n600 2.4 and 5gnz router with 10/100 megbit lan ports and you can set it up as access point but doing so will still leave your network security very weak with wep the only safe would be upgrade your camera have you check to see if a firmware update is out for them.

If not you could  run on the wndr3400 a separate network from the r6400 network to a server and monitor the server with  r6400 network but set up rules in the server to block data going back to the wndr 3400 from the r6400 network maybe.

Maybe it could be set up that way but is it worth even trying to save a camera?

A new camera sounds like a better answer does your camera have to be wireless there are wired ip camera's.

I hope you find a answer that fits your needs.

Message 3 of 4
DaveN14
Aspirant

Thank you both for the help. You have me thinking it would be a good time to upgrade the camera's too. Had these
camera's about 10-12 years now and Panasonic does not show any firmware update.(BL-C30A)

Thanks Again!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7