× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 Smart Wifi Router already registered (new purchase but open box)

palauzet
Aspirant

AC1750 Smart Wifi Router already registered (new purchase but open box)

Hello folks,

I just purchased an Amazon open box (meaning pre owned item) for a Netgear AC1750 Smart Wifi Router. I'm unable to regsitered this product as I suppose the previous owner did it already!

Could you please erase/reset the data for the serial number 4B366B7MA1E65?

I can give you any proof you would require. 

Thanks in advance,

Pierre

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
palauzet
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 Smart Wifi Router already registered (new purchase but open box)

Hey guys,

Not sure why you all mentionned Open VPN certificates and went so far into this thread. I was just trying to register my product into Netgear website portal, that's it, and it has been done by the support team 😉

I will close the topic, thanks to all,

Pierre

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I would be careful about the router. There is no way to revoke the Open VPN certificate. Someone can theoretically get into your network if Open VPN was set up by the first owner. You can search the boards carefully about that topic. I won't add any additional to this thread explaning it etc as its too time consuming.

Message 2 of 9
William10a
Master

@GearNetRouter wrote:

I would be careful about the router. There is no way to revoke the Open VPN certificate. Someone can theoretically get into your network if Open VPN was set up by the first owner. You can search the boards carefully about that topic. I won't add any additional to this thread explaning it etc as its too time consuming.

I would not post serial numbers in the open,as far registering you need get hold of netgear tech support and if open VPN cerfificate has been issue to this router you will need handle and see if you can fix that issue. If not cover by netgear you want return for a new router in a sealed package if still within time to the store.

Message 3 of 9
palauzet
Aspirant

Thank you both! I'll contact Netgeat support team when I find a link to it... so far I've been unsuccesfull. 

Message 4 of 9
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Based on an extensive read on these boards a few weeks ago the used Open VPN certificate issue is not resolveable. Think of is as your house has a door with a permanent lock (not replaceable) and the prior owner who you don't know has a key to that door if they ever used that door. You read for yourself. I have nothing to add to the topic except I would get a full refund.
Message 5 of 9
palauzet
Aspirant

Hey guys,

Not sure why you all mentionned Open VPN certificates and went so far into this thread. I was just trying to register my product into Netgear website portal, that's it, and it has been done by the support team 😉

I will close the topic, thanks to all,

Pierre

Message 6 of 9
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

You do what you want. Its over your head but you don't really care. I wish I had NOT WASTED TIME alerting you to the OpenVPN issue and trying to help you with it.

Message 7 of 9
palauzet
Aspirant

Don't be mad GearNetRouter, I'm not saying anything bad and I appreciated your care, really. I just wondered why we mentionned Open VPN at the first place and it took me some time to figure out that it was not helping me to address my question 😉 . And by the way, my router has not been associated to any Open VPN key yet, I've checked it and I thank you for your input.

Message 8 of 9
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

OK just trying to help. BTW, how did you check? You asked Netgear?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7