Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1750 Wifi Cable Modem Router C6300 change router admin password

Nyanko-Sensei
Follower

AC1750 Wifi Cable Modem Router C6300 change router admin password

I have had this router for a couple years but I never bothered to secure my home network. I decided to change my router admin password. I went to the Netgear website that sends me to routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net. I am then instructed to download the nighthawk app and follow the setup instructions only to be told that my device isn't compatible. I have tried to look for an alternative way to change my router admin password but everything says to use nighthawk. My device is older than 90 so I would have to pay to get Netgear support.
Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Re: AC1750 Wifi Cable Modem Router C6300 change router admin password

@Nyanko-Sensei wrote:
I have had this router for a couple years but I never bothered to secure my home network.

The  C6300 is a cable modem/router.  It is not one of the General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk and Non-Orbi) covered in this section.

@Nyanko-Sensei wrote:
I went to the Netgear website that sends me to routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net. I am then instructed to download the nighthawk app and follow the setup instructions only to be told that my device isn't compatible.

What Netgear website is that? 

routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net are local addresses for you to get at the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

You can use a browser to get at those. Then you can change the passwords and security on your modem/router.

I have no idea how you were directed to download the app.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your C6300 predates the app. And Netgear is not allowed to change the firmware on your device so that it will work with the app.

The older genie app does that for your modem/router.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Nyanko-Sensei wrote:
I have had this router for a couple years but I never bothered to secure my home network. I decided to change my router admin password. I went to the Netgear website that sends me to routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net. I am then instructed to download the nighthawk app and follow the setup instructions only to be told that my device isn't compatible. I have tried to look for an alternative way to change my router admin password but everything says to use nighthawk. My device is older than 90 so I would have to pay to get Netgear support.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7